Thread: This little piggy... got dead

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

This little piggy... got dead

I have the privilege to hunt on a farm in middle GA. Over the last 10 years, we have been over run by feral hogs and coyotes. The have impacted everything from the deer population, to small game, turkeys, quail and even small predators like bobcats & fox. As a result, my friend, the landowner, has a strict shoot-on-sight rule for either species. That rule, in addition to being a Conservative and a Life Member of the NRA are the only dues I have ever been asked to pay in 17 years.

I was out at the farm a couple of weeks ago when I crossed paths with a wild boar after a morning bowhunt. I had already stowed my bow in the truck, so I grabbed the closest thing I could get my hands on, my M&P9 FS loaded with 115 gr. fmj.

Shot #1 - trotting broadside at 20 yards - The boar jumped straight up when he was hit and bolted. Hit on the left side and the bullet passed through to break his right leg.

The boar ran approx. 20 yards, then made a hard left turn and headed straight in my direction. I took aim as he ran headlong into the next round.

Shot #2 - the second shot hit him in the chest and he stumbled as he continued straight at me.

Shot #3 - at about 10 yards, I fired again, hitting him again in the chest. He finally nosedived into a kicking pile of dead pork.

While not ideal at all, I was pleased with the outcome considering the caliber & load that I had immediately available at the time. Most interesting is just how tough these critters are. This one had heavy gristle armor to protect him from other boars. The armor can be felt over the shoulder blade and extending back over the ribcage.

A few pics...

Last edited by mtdawg169; 10-25-11 at 23:43.