Thread: AR-15A4 (M-16 variant) body (baby) powder test.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

AR-15A4 (M-16 variant) body (baby) powder test.

I did an experiment today using my AR-15A4 (M16A4 variant) using Gold Bond Body Powder (Talcum powder). This test is in regards to the this now locked thread: Lessons Learned.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=141174

In it, a member made a subtle request for some one to test their M4 with baby powder, powder that many vets report what the sand in Iraq and Afghanistan resembles.

I am going to make a disclaimer and say I have NEVER served in OEF and OIF. EVER. Wanted to go, but Uncle Sam said no due to medical reasons. I am an avid shooter with some Law Enforcement experience during my youth with not enough life experience. What was requested was somewhat of a challenge for me to see first hand what one of my ARs will do with crap in the chamber.

Weapon, Magazines, Lube, and Powder: What was Used, and Thoughts

I used my AR15A4. It is:
    • Bushmaster lower with A2 stock. 1990s receiver and components with aftermarket trigger (ALS trigger).
    • BCM A4 20" upper, mil-spec.
    • BCM full-auto bolt carrier group.

ETA: Action spring is a JP Enterprises low-mass spring (non-mil-spec).

Magazines were a Colt magazine with a black follower, and a Brownells GI magazine with a green follower. The colt has been run a lot without being serviced, while the Brownells has had probably less than 300 rounds through it without servicing.

Lube used was an off the shelf can of CLP, and Slip 2000.

Gold Bond Body Powder.

I am going to make a note on using talcum/baby/body powder, which brings up a big stipulation of the test: Talcum powder dissolves. I saw areas where I had lubed and the powder seem to dissolve after application, but was still turning into gunk.

Test Procedures and Testing.

The first and second tests were done with a clean rifle. First test was done without lube (except the gas rings). Second test was done with a light coat of CLP. Third test was done with heavy SLIP 2000 application.

Baby powder was applied to:
    • BCG.
    • Inside the chamber.
    • Outside on the receiver.

Bolt was cycled several times to get powder in the bolt and chamber.

Test #1:
    45 rounds with no lube in the rifle; powder on BCG and inside chamber
    (Note: I did give some lube on the gas rings).

I cleaned the rifle to almost an inspection level. My goal was to get as much lube out of the weapon. I used M-Pro-7's degreaser and then flushed the bolt and upper out with carburetor cleaner. This pretty much made my rifle dry.

Bolt:

Rifle and chamber:

Powder on BCG and rifle:

Observations:

First round failed to chamber from a loaded, seated mag, running the charging handle. Bolt failed to close into battery, but did pick up the first round. Forward assist also was a no-go! It would not push the bolt into battery. After pulling the charging handle slightly back, it closed into battery. (Still gave a push on the forward assist).

Fired all 45 rounds without failure doing slow fire and rapid fire stints at a 10 yard target. (30 rounds through green follower mag, 15 rounds through black follower mag).

After field stripping rifle and bolt down, the powder was pretty much blown out. Also did note some lube around the bolt head and chamber (didn't get it all). Also to note, some baby powder had burned and stuck in the chamber and on the bolt.

Bolt after firing:

Chamber after firing:

Last edited by Mauser KAR98K; 10-26-13 at 21:16.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*