So, after reading militarymoron's post, I decided I had to have my very own XM177E2 clone. I bought the Griffin Armament XM Linear Comp first since that's kind of the defining feature of the gun. (Is funny how some guns are like that, defined by a particular item.) Next I picked up an A1 upper. Since I have some sort of fascination with the teardrop forward assist, I chose to build an "E2" rather than a slick side GAU-5. The A1 upper came mostly stripped, just had the rear sight assembly. As you can see, the finish is pretty worn in spots. Since it's likely I'll end up using a standard A2 lower that will come black, I'll see about refinishing the upper and the lower and whatever else needs it in a Colt XM gray finish. Not sure which one yet.

Looking at the parts I own already, I have an A1 grip, some shiny black 6-hole skinny hand guards and, while not model correct, a Colt N1 stock. It'll do for now. I picked up the teardrop forward assist of a guy on GunBroker and an A1 ejection port door and RE locking ring with the spanner hole from a guy on another forum. I'll probably use modern parts for the rest. Right now, I'm trying to figure out what to do about a barrel. I'm planning to use a 12.5" barrel and P&W the Griffin linear comp to make it 16" and change OAL. I don't see much point in filing SBR paperwork just to save an inch or so in barrel length just to be more correct looking.

Thoughts? Suggestions?