Thread: Breaking in some new steel

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Breaking in some new steel

Some AR 500 targets showed up today and I spent the late afternoon/early evening breaking in the new 8" round and get a little impromptu wind call practice in.
    IMG_0992.jpg

Other than the shooting mat, I only took the small pack that I carry when hunting (contains ears/eyes, Wiebad Ultra Lite rear bag, range finder, light jacket, first aid crap). And water.

This was pretty refreshing, as I usually have a lot more gear and ancillary stuff, and don't do a whole lot of shooting like this outside of hunting.

Anyways, shot at 300ish (~307), wished like hell that I had painted the target, but I was in a hurry to get out while there was still daylight. The target is circled in red, which is also hard to see, sorry.

IMG_0996.jpg

77gr Nosler CC's, 23.4gr H322, and Wolf Primers do the trick every time

IMG_0998.jpg

The 1/2 inch stuff is a little harder to hear than the 3/8 (at least for me) but my iPhone was able to pick it up while on the video setting.

I think I am going to do more shooting like this, something about the simplicity of it all is a nice counterpoint to hauling around tripods/kestrel/spotter, rests/bags, kitchen sink, etc.

edited because target needed circled in red, my MS paint skills are lacking...
    Last edited by masan; 03-17-16 at 18:37.