Thread: LW test mule project/back-up rifle

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

LW test mule project/back-up rifle

BLUF: See pictures
    Long Version-
    Concept of use: despite already having a rifle built as an end-all be-all in Duty grade components designed to maximize smoothness without gaining the negative attributes of gamer guns, I wanted something as a backup that would run smooth without being finicky so I could work on other concepts of rifle shooting.

Concept of build: to use proven components that could easily be replaced without any special tuning, aka rack grade availability with better than rack grade performance.

Build list:
    Stripped S&W lower
    Vltor A5 RE/A5H2 buffer
    Green Sprinco spring
    LMT small parts
    Vltor Imod stock
    Sionics CH/BCG/LW bbl
    BCM4 stripped upper
    ALG V2 13" rail
    Accu-washer shims for muzzle device
    Forward Control Designs 6315 FH

The lower receiver dates back to the beginning of the Obama admin, and I paid $170 for it. Not knowing how to build one out, I paid a gunsmith to install LMT parts, as Colt and LMT were the only parts that he used in his shop. I later upgraded to the A5 system prior to starting this build. This will be the second upper on this lower.
    I received the Sionics LW barrel for Christmas, and picked up the scope for $75 on the E&E. As a guy who shoots irons and ACOGs at work, I've been interested in a LPVO but have never wanted to pay for anything pricey and find out if I liked it or not afterwards. I grabbed the CH and probably the FCD 6315 on Black Friday, and the upper, rail, and stock are all purchased on the E&E at large discounts from what you'd normally pay.
    Sight in was simple, with two adjustments taking my 5 round groups to where I wanted at 50 yards. Not bad for windchills below 0. I added the Magpul handstop to help myself become more concistent in eye relief and presentation. This is going to become my primary shooter when I'm not working on job related shooting, and my primary rifle will look to become suppressed as its next step.

Attachment 50465
    Attachment 50466
    Attachment 50468
    Attachment 50467
    Last edited by opngrnd; 02-12-18 at 20:10. Reason: Spelling