Been thinking about this for a year or two, but it’s hard to let go. After owning several AK-type rifles over the last couple decades I’m down to my last one: a preban Chinese underfolder I bought new.

Fell in love with AKs when I saw my first Steyr Maadi in the local sporting goods store - something brand new to the US when I saw it. I was young, then.

Not quite an old man yet but no longer young. Eyesight has slowly changed with the passing of the years and AK-type sights don’t work so well for me. I do better with ARs, Garands, No. 4 Enfields, and similar rifle sight set-ups.

Last outing with the AK I was getting 4-6” groups at 50 yards using Lapua 123 gr FMJ. Though admittedly underfolders wander a bit, the results aren’t very encouraging.

Tonight was reading an essay by Larry Vickers in which he states that a self-defense carbine using quality ammunition should be able to make a headshot at 100 yards - something I seriously doubt I can do with my underfolder.

I’m left wondering if maybe it isn’t time to say farewell to the AK, since time and age have made it tougher for me to use effectively. TBH I was never that great with any AK anyway, and getting an entire mag on a man-sized silhouette at 100 yards was my (poor man’s) standard for “success.”

Much has changed since the 1980’s, especially in the realm of optics. Selling my ChiCom to a collector would free up $ for high quality optics to go on my AR, which would help an oldster like me maintain readiness in a manner I could little dream of 20 years ago. Money isn’t so tight that I have to, but it would be logical way to keep my firearms interest, funding itself.

So, my question: is there much point in keeping my AK as a defensive rifle? Or has it simply become a luxury item - fun to have & shoot, but no longer practical for a near-sighted oldster, like me?

My thanks in advance for your perspective(s)...