Sometimes I buy a gun because I found cheap ammo in a caliber I don’t have a gun for (yet)

Sometimes I buy a gun because it’s been sitting for sale for a long time and feels like a puppy in dire need of adoption

This one ticks both boxes :

Last year I bought this ammo super cheap ($ 110) but didn’t have a gun for it. I thought I can either find a gun, of trade / sell the ammo, and I favoured the second option as the last thing I needed was another caliber in my collection

Now if you wonder why anyone would sell this quality ammo so cheap, I believe no one here in Switzerland shoots .41 Magnum, so there’s really no demand for it. I love those old green / yellow Remington boxes, brings back a lot of good memories when I first started shooting .44 magnum as a young man

Which then leads to the gun. A year ago, an amateur gun trader I know bought several nice S&W revolvers : a 27-3 in 3.5”, a 19-3 in 4”, a 29-2 in 8 3/8”, a 25-3 in 6” commemorative, a 586-1 in 4”, and this 57 in 4”

I was interested in the 27-2 and the 19-3, but after a lot of back and forth horse trading we couldn’t find an agreement. Good on him since he sold both fairly rapidly.

However the 57 was stuck with him, and after talking about it a few times end last year, I visited him yesterday to buy some Luger and GP35 mags, and while at it I had him pull out the 57 from the safe.

He had it for sale for over a year, originally at $ 1320.-, we agreed at $ 950.-

The grips are quite reddish so rosewood I suppose ?

Serial number puts it at 1977 I believe

What can I say, I’m weak when it comes to classic P&R Smith & Wesson revolvers. They just don’t make them like that anymore