Thread: Extended mag release

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Extended mag release

I need to give thanks to Mr. Clint Smith. I believe he has stated "One is none and two is one". I took a recent trip to Austin, Tx. I knew that the people that I was traveling with are not gun friendly as I would like them to be. However, I very seldom go without my firearm by my side. Well, this meant that my carbine had to stay at home. But I still wanted to carry something with a little more punch and reload less. My choices are the Kimber tactical .45, Glock 31 .357Sig, and the Glock 19 9mm. So, I went with the Glock 31 (Gen II), something that I bought this past Christmas from a friend at a great price. This would be my first time to have this gun as my primary carry handgun. It has been my range gun on many occasions, so I know that it can shoot.

All went well while we did the normal sight seeing gig. That is until we came back to the car. I saw something that sent chills (so to speak) down my spine, thankful that I did not have a confrontation or anything else negative happen. I saw a loaded magazine in my seat. I did a quick pat down and that was not one of my spare magazines sitting there. So I index my mag-well (through the concealment) only to find it empty.

Apparently, I Inadvertently depressed the extended magazine release while seated in the car. I knew that the Glock 31 (that I had purchased as a project gun) has a extended magazine release, but I did not think that it would cause any problems while carrying concealed.

I have ran many drills that include and/or revolve around reloading, but I can not think of a single drill that I run with a round in the chamber and no magazine to start off with. I am thankful that I remember to carry 2 spare magazines.

Some items that I carry while out

A photo of the extended mag-release touching the holster

A photo of the soon to be gone extended mag-release
    Last edited by badcatbigbat; 07-18-09 at 22:20. Reason: spelling
    A citizen noted the hammer back on the 1911 carried in the waist band by Charlie Miller, Texas Ranger. The Citizen asks, "Isn't That Dangerous?" Charley replied, " I wouldn't carry the son of a bitch if it wasn't dangerous."