Thread: Taurus PT1911, feasible 1911 for defense?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    Why the hatred? I've heard of finish, and hammer follow issues but don't other manufacturers 1911 style firearms have their(or had) problems from time to time?
    Yes, practically every 1911 maker has put out problem guns. The problem here is that Taurus has a long and storied reputation for putting out problematic guns not in the 1911 pattern...which does not boost one's confidence in their ability to produce a reliable and serviceable specimen of probably the hardest extant pistol design to get right.

Aside from all of the Taurus bashing, why do you consider this 1911 a no go? Please provide some substantiation. Please don't post the typical Taurus bashing rhetoric.
    It's not "rhetoric" to point out that a company has a particularly dismal history of putting out products that don't work very well. Taurus semi-autos have a bad reputation for a reason.

ETA: I understand this is a low price point 1911, and will not compete with a 2K 1911.
    Then perhaps you're not really understanding the point...

The foremost 1911 experts on this planet will tell you that if you want a 1911 you can bet your life on, you will have to spend about 2 grand on it. There are a number of reasons why they say this.

Your thread asks specifically about betting your life on a Taurus 1911. Given that the people who know more about the 1911 platform than anyone else have already given us the advice that a duty quality 1911 STARTS at 1,500-2,000 dollars it seems to me that the question of whether or not the Taurus offering is feasible for self defense has been answered. For playing on the square range anything will do...but for a weapon you could bet your life (or the life of your family) on does it really make sense to try and use a notoriously difficult platform (the 1911) produced by a company with a long history of getting things wrong?
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 11-24-09 at 07:40.