Thread: MONOLITHIC UPPER

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by winfield813@yahoo.com View Post
    Most guys I know with MRPs, myself included, do not swap out barrels AT the range. I only swap a barrel when I want to go from a CQB config to an SPR, or from one FH/muzzle device to another. In other words, most guys do not hot swap barrels like you would a SAW or other machinegun, you swap only if you want to switch to hunting prarie dogs from running a carbine course. In your scenario, having multiple uppers does make more sense. Not to mention that the torque wrench for swapping barrels ways as much as a whole BCG, not something I would ever hump around in the field--Barrel swapping is best done back at "base" with the MRP IMHO.

Thats all I was getting at.

I plan on getting the SS barrel for the MWS but that would only be something Id swap out between range trips, and I wouldnt swap the barrels right after firing. I wouldn't even be able to hold onto it without getting burned.

Hell I've gotten burned from brass bouncing off something, and hitting my arm let alone holding onto the barrel to change it out.

All I do with my guns at the range is lean them up against the next bench over (almost always enough benches to go around where people can spread out), on the ground, a table, whatever. I don't swap uppers, either. Everything is on its own lower.

I should also add, that if all you're doing is switching barrels between range trips then when you do go to the range you either have more than one upper/gun or just shoot the one gun. So while it may be a cost savings to have multiple setups with one chassis it doesn't get around the fact you still only have one gun at the range or buy more than one upper/rifle to begin with. When I go shooting I like to shoot more than one setup.
    Last edited by Belmont31R; 09-13-10 at 20:32.