Thread: A question for you 1-4X users...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for your responses!

In a way, this validates the philosophy behind the ELCAN SpecterDR of providing a choice of just 2 magnifications. Not that I have any interest in that sight, but I can understand the reasoning behind the two "set" magnifications it offers.

The reason I ask is that I have a "sighting system" in mind for my BCM 16" SS410 middy. Basically, I'm considering going with a fixed, low power scope mounted on the top receiver rail in combination with an Aimpoint T1 in a DD or LaRue side mount. The scope would provide some magnification, a more precise reticle and "optical clarity" for longer range work and the Aimpoint for the up-close-and-fast work. What attracts me to this is the seemless transition between the two sights - the support hand does not have to leave the weapon to switch between sights (or magnification settings) - simply roll the rifle a bit to move from one to the other.

I think with the correct selection, the scope could be used as the primary sight in all but the closest of work (say 50 yards and under).
    For the scope, I am considering the Leupold 2.5X20 Ultralight. Based on my research, this scope offers the following advantages;

1. uber light weight - just 6.5 ounces, or about 13.5 ounces with a QD mount
    2. generous/fixed eye relief - 4.9 inches (I have also read that it is extremely forgiving on eye position, a definite big plus)
    3. small size, low profile
    4. an adjustable eyepiece for (my) crappy eyesight
    5. a "wide duplex" reticle with 1 MOA cross hair in the center
    6. in combination with a T1 in a side mount, the entire sight package with mounts would weigh about 17 ounces

I'm thinking for the $$ invested and the weight, I would have a pretty useful sighting system for fast close range work and for more precise shooting out to 250 yards or so. Since I don't intend on engaging targets beyond 300 yards - or targets beyond 100 yards in low light conditions - the lack of an illuminated/range-finding recticle in the scope is not a major issue for me (in fact, this is what helps to keep the scope weight down), but I would have the Aimpoint with its "turn it on and forget it" 50,000 hour battery life. Also, I'm already set up with a Troy front/rear folding BUIS so the rifle would have 3 sighting systems.

For the intended use - close to 300 yard work at carbine matches and for defensive purposes - this seems like it would be a good set up. But, before I proceed I thought I would ask for your opinions on this approach.

As always, your input is appreciated!
    Last edited by Canonshooter; 09-29-10 at 05:43.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights