Thread: Idea for an improved .380 projectile

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Idea for an improved .380 projectile

I was thinking about the dilemma created by the .380 ACP cartridge. Hollowpoints that manage to expand underpenetrate, and bullets which do not expand tend to minimize permanent wound diameter due to the the tendency to slip through elastic tissue. Even flat nosed FMJs don't really crush a clean plug of tissue out ahead of them and I would think produce a wound functionally no different than round nosed FMJs.

Here's my thought. What if you took a copper solid similar to a DPX, eliminated any weakening serrations in the meplate, and then drilled 4 to 6 sluice holes through the walls of the bullet so they ventilated the base of the hollowpoint cavity. A small cone or even angular, star shaped protrusion could be milled or stamped in the bottom of the cavity, cleaving the tissue entering the cavity, directing it out through the sluice holes. Alternatively the bottom of the cavity could terminate below the holes like a sump in order to accept some compressed clothing while allowing tissue to exit above it.

The purpose of this design would be to cut a true, permanent wound channel in tissue through the full penetration depth by preventing compressed tissue from immediately clogging the cavity causing the bullet to simply slip through the elastic tissue like a FMJ. If the sluice holes could drain as fast as the cavity fills, a fresh "cutting edge" of the meplat would always be exposed to tissue. While this would not increase the diameter of the bullet, it would maximize the vascular damage and blood loss within the meplat's diameter while hopefully maintaining the superior penetration afforded by the sectional density of an unexpanded bullet.

I do realize 9mm is preferable, but the reality is many people still opt for the convenience of a true pocket pistol, at least under certain circumstances. This design could be a significant improvement over current projectile options.

I'd be interested in seeing if anyone here could manufacture a few of these and test them in gel. Hell, at the very least they might whistle when you shoot them

Any takers?
    Last edited by VelveteenMole; 01-10-11 at 01:20.