I have read several threads on here, and elsewhere about certain handgun choices are simply crutches for accuracy.

Mostly it deals with 1911s since it is pretty well know there have been significant advances in handgun technology in the past 100 years. However the 1911 does have great ergonomics, and nice triggers which is part of its popularity.

Where does one draw the line on what handguns & mods create "a crutch".

Does one have to be able to shoot a Sigma, VP70Z, or AMT Backup accurately at 25 yards?

Does lightening the trigger pull beyond X lbs make it a crutch?

If someone shoots a particular gun extremely well, but not others as well does that mean they are simply using that gun as a crutch?

Just thinking about this because I got another used 92FS over a NIB G17RTF2 yesterday even though they were the same price. I use both as carry guns, but I got another Beretta because I shoot the 92 series so well. I can shoot Glocks pretty good, but never as good as a 92. I just have a little bit of buyers remorse since the Beretta weighs more, requires more maintenance, and some parts are just a PITA to change. However, I absolutely love shooting the 92, have lots of magazines, and no other handgun comes close in the accuracy department for me.

So could it be considered I'm using the 92 series as a "crutch" for my handgun accuracy, or is it considered to stick with what you are the most accurate with?

(Not trying to come off as a prick, genuinely curious about this concept).