Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on Glossy Gunkote Post - Email from Brownells

Feedback Score

Update on Glossy Gunkote Post - Email from Brownells

I posted this a few days ago, warning people and complaining how the Matte black Gunkote (rattle can) came out GLOSSY!

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=83774

I complained to Brownells in an email and here is their reply today:

Marc,

Don’t give up on us yet. The Matt Black is supposed to be truly matte black. The most recent batch of some 700 cans was formulated incorrectly and the matting agent was left out of the batch. I am sending a Cc of this to our customer service desk to make sure you get a replacement can at no charge to you. The good news also is that Gun Kote can be recoated before or after baking with follow-up coats of Gun Kote, so you don’t need to do anything but recoat and bake the matte on top of the previous color. In your case there is nothing wrong with the black on the gun at this time either.

Thanks for your patience

Monty Crain
    Gunsmith Support Supervisor

they left out the matte agent of the paint?
    Well at least i am getting another can for free...sure hope it is REALLY flat this time. The gun is already half stripped because i'm waiting on a can of alumahyde. should i send it back and just wait for the gunkote? Or should i keep both? The AK is the only gun that needs refinishing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'd use the gunkote. It WILL bond quite well to the lower coat. I've gunkoted a CZ 75 and a Makarov. It is GOOD stuff bu requires blasting with Al Oxide for a prep and baking, but its great stuff.

I WILL bond to the bottom coat.

Please follow up - I may use Alumahyde on my SAR-1, because I don't want to have to bake.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markasaurus View Post
    I posted this a few days ago, warning people and complaining how the Matte black Gunkote (rattle can) came out GLOSSY!

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=83774

I complained to Brownells in an email and here is their reply today:

Marc,

Don’t give up on us yet. The Matt Black is supposed to be truly matte black. The most recent batch of some 700 cans was formulated incorrectly and the matting agent was left out of the batch. I am sending a Cc of this to our customer service desk to make sure you get a replacement can at no charge to you. The good news also is that Gun Kote can be recoated before or after baking with follow-up coats of Gun Kote, so you don’t need to do anything but recoat and bake the matte on top of the previous color. In your case there is nothing wrong with the black on the gun at this time either.

Thanks for your patience

Monty Crain
    Gunsmith Support Supervisor

they left out the matte agent of the paint?
    Well at least i am getting another can for free...sure hope it is REALLY flat this time. The gun is already half stripped because i'm waiting on a can of alumahyde. should i send it back and just wait for the gunkote? Or should i keep both? The AK is the only gun that needs refinishing.
    Well shit.

When did you guy yours? I purchased mine about 2 months ago and it came out glossy. But, I just re bead blasted my SS barrel and I'm just running with that now...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Get the surface nice and hot, then spray right away, and even the glossy version turns out pretty flat.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I would probably just keep the Aluma-Hyde II on hand, but I am a notorious hoarder of gun crap.
    I wouldn't think you would have trouble moving it on the EE either, but you would probably have to eat the shipping cost.
    Most frugal approach would be to just send the Aluma-Hyde back to Brownells and use the free product they are shipping you in compensation.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    Well shit.

When did you guy yours? I purchased mine about 2 months ago and it came out glossy. But, I just re bead blasted my SS barrel and I'm just running with that now...
    I biught it about the same time you did, maybe 5 or 6 weeks ago. Rattle can from brownell's. Maybe your can was from the same bad batch?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    do both of these require heating/baking?

how durable are they with/without?
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    Gunkote requires baking at 300 to 305 degrees f for one hour. Alumahyde 2 requires no baking, is more solvent resistant then alumahyde, but needs a 2 week cure time. Some people have said they baked alumahyde 2 anyway, for 200 degrees f for 3 or 5 hours to cut the cure time.

Gunkote is supposed to be tougher and more solvent resistant then alumahyde. You could also choose the brownell's "baking laquer" that is pretty close to gunkote, and a lot cheaper ($12 a can. Vs. $32 for gunkote).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Baking lacquer is not close to GunKote in terms of durability in my experiences.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markasaurus View Post
    I biught it about the same time you did, maybe 5 or 6 weeks ago. Rattle can from brownell's. Maybe your can was from the same bad batch?
    I'm guessing so. I may have to email them if for nothing else but to get a free can out of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast