Thread: DD Omega too replace my KAC RAS? Opinions wanted!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    If it ain't broke then don't fix it. The KAS RAS may not be the newest flavor of the day, but they are solid performers. You'd be better off using that money for a class or getting more training ammo to practice with. Be safe!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBody View Post
    If it ain't broke then don't fix it. The KAS RAS may not be the newest flavor of the day, but they are solid performers. You'd be better off using that money for a class or getting more training ammo to practice with. Be safe!
    I agree. I hate the I Beam feel of most of the DD rails. The RIS II rails are nice with the low bottom rail.

But I'd never swap a RAS for an Omega... even though the RAS isn't FF.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    140 (100%)
    Personally, I wouldn't switch it on the M16a4 clone.
    I would switch to the 12.0 Omega X FSP rail on the M4gery though; personally I like the longer rail and the ability to put a light in front of the FSP. If it was simply going to be for the 7" rail on the carbine, I'm not sure I really see what you gain other than a little weight loss, especially if you aren't mounting anything on it that requires it to be FF.
    You dig your grave with your fork.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If it ain't broke then don't fix it. The KAS RAS may not be the newest flavor of the day, but they are solid performers. You'd be better off using that money for a class or getting more training ammo to practice with.
    There it is.

How much ammo can you buy with the delta between what you'll spend on a new DD and what you'd make selling off the Knight?

It ain't the gadget. Proficiency comes with trigger time.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Have troy rails, dd, and mi. Don't have ris, so can't comment. As for the others, flip a coin. All rails get hot when you get happy trigger or f/a. This is the reason(for me) for vfg, gloves, etc. Hey., it's your money, just don't go crazy and run out of ammo money. Lol

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    It's hard to argue against the "spend money on training and ammo" crowd. However, if you do feel the need to free-float, a better option might be the Centurion Arms rails. These install on the existing barrel nut and will arguably be stronger than the Omega, and they won't require additional gunsmithing beyond cutting the delta ring assembly that would come with, say, the RIS II or Omega X.

One difficulty with the Omega is getting accessories on or off the rail due to the handguard cap. This was a problem for me with a triangular handguard cap (e.g., on a BCM middy) and accessories that slide onto the rail (not sure if if would be a problem with the round cap). This is of course due to how narrow they are. I did find the narrow rails to be comfortable in the hand, though.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I prefer my RIS II to anything else I've used. I have the mk18 and with ladder style covers it feels great. I like it so much I think I'm replacing my URX II with the 12" on my SR15 since I've now broken two front sights - well, one completely broke and the other needed some tweaking but I imagine it's weakened.

The RIS II just feels so solid in comparison and very comfortable for me. I ran Iraq Ninja's BCM this weekend for a few rounds which had a FSB and a Omega, IIRC and that felt really good as well though I don't have enough experience to comment past that.

I'd go for the RIS II unless. Had a fixed front gas block then I'd go LaRue or DD Lite 9.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I agree. I hate the I Beam feel of most of the DD rails. The RIS II rails are nice with the low bottom rail.

But I'd never swap a RAS for an Omega... even though the RAS isn't FF.
    Hmm, any other reasons why? I have KAC RAS on my 6920 and have been pleased with them. I was also considering the Omega rails for my BCM with another set of RAS rails as a close 2nd option. Would I be better off with the RAS? I have no experience with the Omegas.