Thread: Stupid question looking for a stupid answer... (RIA)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    First I would like to state that have zero experience with RIA so I can not comment either way on that, but as for smiths not working on foreign pistols, I believe that stems more from the pistols(not refering to any one brand here) are more often than not with in spec for a build up, but there are exceptions to that rule. But things like the pin holes are a prime example, if they are not where they need to be it can make fitting parts difficult at best. As with all things 1911, starting off with a good foundation will pay dividends in the future.

As for the finish: Have you checked with any local smiths to see what their capabilities are? The only recomendation I would have is get the sights cut prior to refinish so you dont run the chance of having to do it twice.
    I have heard very good things about JoJo's in Southington, CT, which is not too far from me.

I think you are right on the money about sight cuts. I *do* know that the RIA Tac has Novak-style sights and slide cuts but not necessarily Novaks. I will likely have to have them recut and real novaks installed. I will have them done simultaneously in order to save on refinishing.

As for the rest of the frame/slide specs I am not sure, I am not intimately familiar with the 1911 so I would also probably have the smith in question take a look at it for me and let me know what they think.

One thing I *do* know is that STI builds their guns off of Armscor frames, which is the frame that my 1911 is built off as well.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 10-10-11 at 16:22.