Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MP5 vs. MK18 against non-armored targets

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    An individual's unit or agency mission, equipment, training, proficiency, and sustainment should dictate weapon and equipment choice.

A shooter armed with a 5.56 weapon may have to do inside work as well as fighting into and out of the target building against bad guys armed and protected with more than just a stolen pistol or deer rifle.

An MP-5 weapon may be more than enough in certain situations depending on how many guys you have going into the target with you, how many bad guys you are going up against, and how they're armed.

Owning or having a certain by-name or by-brand weapon doesn't make one a trained assaulter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A good 5.56 loading is far superior, in terms of terminal ballistics, to anything you can load into an MP5. All other concerns (body armor, rate of fire, controllability, etc.) aside, if I had to shoot at people at same-room distance, I'd want the round that gave the best chance of the fastest incapacitation (within reason- I'm not talking about a ten gauge or a safari rifle caliber). A mortally-wounded guy flailing wildly and pulling the trigger still has a pretty good chance of shooting you when he's ten feet from you.
    Last edited by crazymoose; 10-13-11 at 12:24.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post

Owning or having a certain by-name or by-brand weapon doesn't make one a trained assaulter.
    how does this contribute to the original question
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

smoke and drink and screw..that's what I was born to do.. - Steel Panther

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Doesnt the MP5 have reliability issues when feeding JHPs?

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Between the local PD/SO/and my own personal one I've seen thousands of JHP ammo go through them without a bobble.
    Sig Sauer LE Armorer
    Glock LE Armorer
    Colt AR15/M16 Armorer
    T.O.S.S. (Tactical Officer Survival School) inst. Tom Long
    Vicker's Tactical Pistol 1 & 2 Carbine 1 Advanced carbine Inst. Larry Vickers
    Intermediate pistol Inst. Ken Hackathorn
    Combat Speed Inst. Dave Harrington
    Performance Pistol Inst. Frank Proctor

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagans Rascals View Post
    how does this contribute to the original question
    I believe it was merely a concluding statement that ultimately software should come before hardware, its the indian not the arrow, singer not the song, ect. Nothing more, nothing less.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jman4427 View Post
    I believe it was merely a concluding statement that ultimately software should come before hardware, its the indian not the arrow, singer not the song, ect. Nothing more, nothing less.
    however, that was not what was asked. I asked a comparison of the platforms. So I guess if I asked which vehicle produced more rear wheel horsepower, the 09 z06 or the 04 SVT... the answer would be " the trained driver could utilize either one effectively"....
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

smoke and drink and screw..that's what I was born to do.. - Steel Panther

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    There's a reason the MP5 is more or less extinct these days. I believe its called a clue. Lets put it this way, the MP5 is essentially a very large handgun.
    Tell that to my agency, we just got 17 more MP5A3's...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have both (well, just recently sold the MP5) and both are very controllable, my MK18 has very little recoil. The MP5 though I could keep a full mag on auto in the size of a fist at 10 yards.

I enjoy shooting both, but when it comes to ballistics I'd personally choose a 5.56 out of a 10.5" barrel over any 9mm. Against another person, both will obviously do the job. It's when other factors are involved that the 5.56 would be an advantage. The 5.56 should defeat a vest, depending on load the 5.56 should defeat a car window better, for example.

I don't know, they both have their place but I can't think of many reasons to choose the MP5 over a 10.5" M4.

I have some video somewhere of one ragged hole from the MP5. If I find it I'll upload it.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    If you knew you would never use it for anything other than CQB within a structure, MP5.

In the real world: Mk18 (or a CQBR).

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast