Thread: Surefire P2X Fury? Anybody Excited?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Inside what? And what beam pattern?

My master bedroom is huge, and my plain old Cree LED will blow me back. Granted it's a fairly focused beam... but even the splash.... 500 would have to spread light wide enough to back light me to tame it down... I'd guess.

I'm all about more horsepower... but for an indoor light, I've seen the downside.
    To clarify my point, I am talking about usage in room clearing/searching work in normal to even small sized urban homes. You would typically not have dark adapted eyes as is the case in most urban areas. Beam shape would be one with decent spill and not all spot, which describes most 500+ lumen XM-L LED’s. Proper usage would mean not shining the flashlight straight ahead of you on walls/mirrors, but generally low at the floorboards not only illuminating typical hiding places but allowing the spill to light up the rest of the room. Your light would be angled down anyways if you are in low ready, and if a suspect presents themselves then 500 lumens straight ahead is a good thing. If you are 3rd man thru the door you can also hit the ceiling and light up the whole room for your team. Although I always run an X300 anyways and only have my light out if I am 3rd man or holstered, but the same ideas apply even with 200 lumens. Of course, in my experience there is generally no such thing as a shiny clear wall in the ghetto and if you go into a bathroom with your light pointing straight ahead you get what you are asking for

I admit 500 lumens is too much for looking on the ground for a lost item, but that’s why I like lights with multiple levels (correctly implemented!) or even the good old fashioned cop trick of putting your hand over the light.

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    To clarify my point, I am talking about usage in room clearing/searching work in normal to even small sized urban homes. You would typically not have dark adapted eyes as is the case in most urban areas. Beam shape would be one with decent spill and not all spot, which describes most 500+ lumen XM-L LED’s. Proper usage would mean not shining the flashlight straight ahead of you on walls/mirrors, but generally low at the floorboards not only illuminating typical hiding places but allowing the spill to light up the rest of the room. Your light would be angled down anyways if you are in low ready, and if a suspect presents themselves then 500 lumens straight ahead is a good thing. If you are 3rd man thru the door you can also hit the ceiling and light up the whole room for your team. Although I always run an X300 anyways and only have my light out if I am 3rd man or holstered, but the same ideas apply even with 200 lumens. Of course, in my experience there is generally no such thing as a shiny clear wall in the ghetto and if you go into a bathroom with your light pointing straight ahead you get what you are asking for

I admit 500 lumens is too much for looking on the ground for a lost item, but that’s why I like lights with multiple levels (correctly implemented!) or even the good old fashioned cop trick of putting your hand over the light.

Dennis.
    This. The 520 lumen XML I put in my C2 has a sort of 2 stage beam pattern. The center of the beam is super bright and focused like my E2D LED Defender or Scout lights, but there's a very wide pattern of light outside the spot that works like a dedicated flood lamp. In a darkened yard or alley, the lamp will light up everything well enough to locate, while still having a bright enough "hot spot" to blind a subject 50 yards away. When entering a dwelling, pointing it at the floor or ceiling provides enough spill to light up a whole room without overloading your retinas. The spill is so wide that it projects a shadow at the edges of the beam from the 6 notches in the bezel ring.

If I need to use it where less light is needed, I just curl my pinkie over the lens and only allow the amount of light I need to filter through. That's rare though, because I also carry a Fenix LD-10 for those occasions.

You can always throttle down the amount of light you have available, but it's impossible to project more light than you have, particularly when that little bit extra might mean the difference between just spotting a threat and debilitating one!

Feedback Score
    I had an LX2 and its light switch was pure genius. Push a little for 15L, push harder for 200L. Push for constant on. No double tap, twist or stuff like that. Be even better if it were stepless.

Might throw one in the car for emergencies. More light on the side of the road can be good.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    What happened to your LX2? I've been thinking of getting one specifically for the switch but I keep hoping they'll start making a 1-battery version again. I used one of the old dual output aviators for awhile but the switch finally broke such that it wouldn't activate the second stage. I'm hoping the LX-2 improved things a bit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    What happened to your LX2? I've been thinking of getting one specifically for the switch but I keep hoping they'll start making a 1-battery version again. I used one of the old dual output aviators for awhile but the switch finally broke such that it wouldn't activate the second stage. I'm hoping the LX-2 improved things a bit.
    My Lx2 is "missing". Between my six year old son and some contractors we had to do some HVAC work I'm not sure who 'misplaced' it. I tore my house apart. I cried.

I'd like 1, 15, 100, 250 lumen pressure switch. 1 cell for EDC and 2 cell for around the house/gun light.

I wonder if SF will ever go AA battery? So much more common and LEDs don't need the 123 power, do they?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score

Current SF AA flashlight

Not sure if you've seen this but SF offers a 2 x AA light, E2L Outdoorsman, dual output - 80/3 lumens, a little long at 6.6" but
    with a runtime of 9/60 hours, it would be a good EDC light.

http://www.surefire.com/E2LAA-Outdoorsman

Maybe they will have a better selection next year.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    LED's still need power and can require high current draw so they generally run more efficiently with Lithium batteries, either primary or rechargeable. Also, AA's can leak and have much worse power/weight/size ratio than 123's.

That said, this is a much more inspiring and proven AA light using the most current XM-L LED that is also on sale right now!

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info....oducts_id=2687

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    My Lx2 is "missing". Between my six year old son and some contractors we had to do some HVAC work I'm not sure who 'misplaced' it. I tore my house apart. I cried.
    It sucks to hear about your LX2 getting misplaced. I had an X300 do the same thing last year at a range. Funny how nice stuff likes to run away from home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use an LX2 Lumamax with the now discontinued FM55 red filter. I really like this light.

I want to get the new Fury just for kicks.
    http://www.m4carbine.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=20651&dateline=1303766618