Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR15 Newbie - Now I want to start dressing it up

Feedback Score

AR15 Newbie - Now I want to start dressing it up

I just bought my first AR - Sig M400 and now I want to start "accessorizing". I have a general idea of how I want to dress it up (stock, grips, rail system, optics, slings, etc.) and I want to go for a tactical "feel". I am sure that this question has already been asked but does anyone know of a good site to find something they like and then get a complete parts list? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and I realize that the answer "It all depends..." definitely applies with dressing up an AR.

I have already put a couple hundred rounds through it and it was the most fun I could have with my clothes still on! And my wife loves it too! Damn, she's a good woman.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    the first thing i would spend money on is a good sling, i would look for a vickers tactical 2 point sling, spend the rest of your money on ammo and some classes and learn how to use what you got. After a couple classes you will know what you need.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shua713 View Post
    the first thing i would spend money on is a good sling, i would look for a vickers tactical 2 point sling, spend the rest of your money on ammo and some classes and learn how to use what you got. After a couple classes you will know what you need.
    This is very sound advice.

-What is your background with the AR system? (MIL/LE)
    -What do you plan to do with the weapon? (hunt/target/duty/home defense)

You can read the after action reports on different training classes here: https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=140

Here are a couple of places to check into:
    http://www.eagtactical.com/coursedetails.asp?ListID=10
    http://www.tacticalresponse.com/course.php?courseID=1

Last edited by AMMOTECH; 12-22-11 at 12:55.
    -David

AR-15 owner/shooter since 1998

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I suggest getting a doll. They can be dressed up in many ways. We don't dress up AR's. We set them up to be functional and serve a need.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AMMOTECH View Post
    This is very sound advice.

-What is your background with the AR system? (MIL/LE)
    -What do you plan to do with the weapon? (hunt/target/duty/home defense)

I am new to the AR system but have quite a number of years with other weapons.

I plan to use it primarily for home/target and duty should the need arise

BTW, my dad retired from the USAF as a MSgt and my middle son is due to leave anyday now - just waiting on his slot to open.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shua713 View Post
    Sounds like a good place to start...thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I suggest getting a doll. They can be dressed up in many ways. We don't dress up AR's. We set them up to be functional and serve a need.
    Ok, ok......don't worry mine will be set up to be functional and will serve my needs well!

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xkalibur45 View Post
    I am new to the AR system but have quite a number of years with other weapons.

I plan to use it primarily for home/target and duty should the need arise

BTW, my dad retired from the USAF as a MSgt and my middle son is due to leave anyday now - just waiting on his slot to open.
    Dude, you're just not catching on. Either you do or you don't have a need or gap in capability to fill. If you do state your purpose and needs, you more than likely will find good info. If you're just looking to "decorate" your gun then get your head straight or GTFO. If I sound impatient it's because my first impression of you is that you're one of the dirt shooting slooooooow fire clowns that's been shooting for 20 years that doesn't know what he doesn't know and is uninterested in learning. If proven wrong you have my sincere apology, if I'm walking rounds onto target with my assessment then save everyone some bandwidth and time and mosey on over to AR15.com instead.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If you're just looking to customize a fun gun, AR15.com is the site for you.

This site is more geared towards a fighting style of AR... where function comes before fashion.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    Dude, you're just not catching on. Either you do or you don't have a need or gap in capability to fill. If you do state your purpose and needs, you more than likely will find good info. If you're just looking to "decorate" your gun then get your head straight or GTFO. If I sound impatient it's because my first impression of you is that you're one of the dirt shooting slooooooow fire clowns that's been shooting for 20 years that doesn't know what he doesn't know and is uninterested in learning. If proven wrong you have my sincere apology, if I'm walking rounds onto target with my assessment then save everyone some bandwidth and time and mosey on over to AR15.com instead.
    Ok, don't get your panties in a wad and no, I am not one of those "clowns" and have taken classes and have been and will continue to learn - apology accepted. So, let me break it down for you without trying to interject a bit of humor (of which you don't seem to get) - I purchased an AR primarily for home defense and I am wanting to get very proficient in utilizing it as a tactical weapon.

So, I am looking at probably buying a better stock and leaning towards a Magpul MOE. I am also thinking of a Daniel rail system but I don't know if there is a huge difference between them and Midwest. And as far as optics, is EOTech king or are there others to consider?

My point is that there are so many manufacturers and being new to the AR's I did not know if there was one that was better than the other. It also appears that there are so many opinions/ratings, it seems hard to try and weed through without the standard marketing bullshit.

So if this forum is not the place to learn from others' experience, then I guess I was sorely mistaken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast