Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Sleep disorders plague police officers"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    Constant shift change. The human body is not wired for this.

Pick a shift and keep them on it for six months.

And if you are on night shift, you damn well better be taking vitamin D.

No vitamin D=Seasonal Affective Disorder=Suicide.
    My station allows us to bid for shifts based upon seniority. Each of our rotations is 3 months. Most guys stick with a shift once they acquire the seniority to ensure stability.

I just got bumped from my shift of choice because of another dog handler having sleep issues on midnight shift.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Back when I was uniformed we worked rotating shifts, changing every month, days to swings, swings to mids, mids to days. Eventually management capitulated to the union and we instituted a bid for shift system and I was able to spend several years, working my preferred shift, swings. I found the quality of my sleep increased dramatically once I was able to stay on one shift and have some regularity to my life.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I have insomnia among other things. It's a bitch to deal with.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have sleep apnea and have been using a CPAP since 1997. If you suspect you have a sleep issue get a sleep study. My treatment with the CPAP has improved my health greater than I ever could imagine.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Since I lost weight and started working out I do sleep much better now than before. No brainer I guess. Shift work does suck. The best thing about my last promotion was I get a stable shift.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I have insomnia among other things. It's a bitch to deal with.
    Its not insomnia, its sleep dep.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    This is not new information, but most depts just do not care...

Don't care a bit, just as long as you don't complain too much. Hey after all, you are just lucky to keep a job....
    We are the first Warrior class in any Civilization to be provided with weapons and no belief system...... Dave Smith

Feedback Score
    I work a rotating 12 hour shift that switches from days to nights every week. This week I work Fri, Sat, Sun day shift then switch to nights for Mon, Tues and Wed. I had to get on Ambien but it doesn't even work anymore.

A few years back when there was shit tons of overtime, guys were working 70-80 hours a week rotating back and forth between days and nights. Kinda sucked but i made alot of money .

I don't think I can sleep more the a few hours without waking up for no reason and I usually only get about 4-6 hours of sleep a night (or day). I am very physically active so I'm not a fatty or anything but alot of guys I work with are.

I think staying in shape definetly helps. I sometimes go to the gym at 4:00 AM before work (which starts at 5:30) on dayshifts which helps get me through the day.
    Last edited by sniperfrog; 12-29-11 at 14:32.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by StrikerFired View Post
    Don't care a bit, just as long as you don't complain too much. Hey after all, you are just lucky to keep a job....
    understatement.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Just some insight from a career fireman who works a 3 on 3 off schedule.

I work 3 day shifts from 7a - 5p then 3 full days off, then 3 nights from 5p - 7a followed by 3 days off then back to the beginning.

I work in the one of the busier engines where I am and sleep patterns are almost non-existent. We fight for 24hour shifts where we can have just one night of interrupted sleep then 3 normal nights instead of 3 interrupted nights in a row.

Being 'allowed' to sleep between calls at night actually makes the sleep pattern worse for us.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast