Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about joining the 7.62 club, have questions...

Feedback Score

Thinking about joining the 7.62 club, have questions...

I have been looking around and like most, if not all, I want quality rifle. I’ve been looking at Armalite, RRA, Noveske, Knights Armament, LWRC, LMT, LaRue along with the new Colt SP901.

Am I missing any quality manufacturer? Which one would you suggest and why? Personally I think I have narrowed my choice to LaRue OBR, but I am open for suggestions.

What is the optimal barrel length for a 7.62 rifle. Can you get comparable accuracy for long range shooting out of 16 inch barrel as you would out of 20 inch barrel? What are the pros and cons of 16, 18, 20 or longer barrels?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Moderation in the pursuit of Justice, is no Virtue!

Feedback Score
    For shots out to 600-800 get a 16" KAC EMC or LaRue. They are accurate, reliable, well supported, and proven in real world use. If you need to make critical shots at longer ranges, you could go with a 18-20" barrel, but you would be better off at that point going with a .300 Win Mag or even better jumping up to .338 Lap Mag.

Feedback Score
    LMT MWS or LaRue OBR. (If you want an OBR, pull the trigger. its a good rifle).

(or Noveske: Armalite pattern mags, top quality though. the world is moving to PMAG compatibility)
    I still have trouble understanding what the KAC does that is worth 1500 more than an OBR.

A custom gun such as a GAP-10 would also be of similar quailty and price.

Of the rest:
    RRA: FAL mags have proved to be unrelaible in the AR system.
    Armalite: Mid-range quality, hit or miss. proprietary mags
    Colt: New and unproven
    LWRC and POF: pistons, quality not as high as recommended rifles. LWRC is 500 more than OBR with no clear advantage.
    Last edited by TXBob; 01-23-12 at 11:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBob View Post

(or Noveske: Armalite pattern mags, top quality though. the world is moving to PMAG compatibility)
    I still have trouble understanding what the KAC does that is worth 1500 more than an OBR.

Of the rest:
    LWRC and POF: pistons, quality not as high as recommended rifles. LWRC is 500 more than OBR with no clear advantage.
    For the list,don't forget Armalites new AR-10A uses SR25/PMAG 20LR.
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Armed Protective Services II

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBob View Post

Of the rest:
    I am in the same boat as the OP.I am looking for a AR10 and have narrowed it down to a LaRue OBR/PreditAR or a LMT MWS with a Nightforce 2.5-10x32. I would like to hear more input as well.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    This is a tad off topic but if you like the 7.62 why not consider a 300BLK?

I like my 7.62x51 AR. It is a great gun. But it sits in the safe mounted w/ a nice Mark4 scope.... Why? Because it is soooo damn heavy. 14lbs of firearm seems cool in pictures until you actually carry it somewhere. Just give it a little thought is all I'm saying.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I second the OBR, MWS or Noveske suggestion. I've not fired the MWS but own 2 MRP's which are both excellent. I have fired the OBR some and hits out to 1000 were pretty easy with good glass. I own an N6 and accuracy is great, sub-moa on my first 5 rounds at 100yds. I like it, but the magazines are one drawback.

I think all 3 of these are in the same class. Just pick the features you like - OBR 20 moa rail, gas port selector, and smooth handguard, Noveske's highly rated polygonal rifled SS barrels, or the MWS' ability to go from a 16" battle rifle to a 20" long range rig, and I believe they are coming out with more barrels at shot, .260 etc.
    Last edited by vinsonr; 01-23-12 at 14:17.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    For a high quality .308 gas gun I would look at a OBR, MWS or SR25. As soon as Noveske upgrades their lowers I would put them at the top of the list also.

The SR25 is the lightest of the three, the MWS is probably the most versatile, and the OBR is probably the most accurate. All three are high quality rifles that are very accurate, but the OBR has a slight edge IMHO. When Noveske switches over it very well might be the most accurate.

Feedback Score
    Also of note: Larue offers the PredatAR in 7.62 which gives you considerable weight savings versus a slight tradeoff in accuracy.

But for long range the OBR is the preferable model of the two.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
    This is a tad off topic but if you like the 7.62 why not consider a 300BLK?

I like my 7.62x51 AR. It is a great gun. But it sits in the safe mounted w/ a nice Mark4 scope.... Why? Because it is soooo damn heavy. 14lbs of firearm seems cool in pictures until you actually carry it somewhere. Just give it a little thought is all I'm saying.

A 7.62 don't have to weigh 14 pounds. The 300 Blackout is a pea shooter. For that matter, the 7.62X51 is a pea shooter. He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast