Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Colt (or equal) LPKs

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FR0GMAN View Post
    Are these in stock yet?

Thank you.

I have enough in right now to do a couple sets.

C4

Feedback Score
    Grant

I'd like to purchase LMT LPK with the non adjustable Geiselle trigger. I realize the triggers are not out yet but I'd like to pre-order one if I can.

Thanks

Paul

Feedback Score
    Grant, will you have triggers/hammers on hand for those that would want those added to a kit? Oh, and pins...
    "So have your buddy get a box of stray cats and try to get a good sight picture while he is throwing the cats at you... naked." - KLD

Get yours news at Presscheck.org!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JLM View Post
    Grant, will you have triggers/hammers on hand for those that would want those added to a kit? Oh, and pins...
    We have LMT triggers and hammers in stock now.

C4

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Does anyone know exactly which parts vary from Colt to the others? Obviously the pins themselves, but what about the internal parts that these pins hold?

Presumably things like buffer retainers, all the springs, and the takedown pins and associated parts are all the same.

I seem to remember seeing a diagram somewhere once of exactly which pins are larger.

It strikes me that in actuality it's on the parts shown here that are different. Anyone know for sure?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Does anyone know exactly which parts vary from Colt to the others? Obviously the pins themselves, but what about the internal parts that these pins hold?

Presumably things like buffer retainers, all the springs, and the takedown pins and associated parts are all the same.

I seem to remember seeing a diagram somewhere once of exactly which pins are larger.

It strikes me that in actuality it's on the parts shown here that are different. Anyone know for sure?

You need to be looking for takedown pins that have a dark "marble" look to them when they are oiled. These are for sure quality. However some Colts have solid colored tan/brown pins.

Another thing to look for is the trigger/hammer springs on Colts are always silver (not gold) and the hammer spring doesn't have that 20 degree bend in it that goes around the hammer.

Furthermore, usually no spring in any Colt is gold colored. The magazine release spring is sometimes a light gold. Sometimes the disconnector spring is black. Everything else is usually silver.

I would order your large hammer/trigger pins from SAW or Brownells. Some other aftermarket large pins seem to be made rougher and have a cheaper blued finish.

A Colt bolt catch will never have any flash on it and you shouldn't see any offset at the parting line going through it. Most of them are marked with a letter or number or some other marking.

I would also strongly recommend a Type 1 hammer from SAW. These hammers don't have the slam fire notch cut in them. They are not cheap but they wear better and ride smoother. An LMT hammer would be good if you have small pins. They don't have the slam fire notch either.

Telling some of these parts apart is very difficult until you start looking at many of them and start noticing the minute differences in machining, forming, and finish.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    You need to be looking for takedown pins that have a dark "marble" look to them when they are oiled. These are for sure quality. However some Colts have solid colored tan/brown pins.

Another thing to look for is the trigger/hammer springs on Colts are always silver (not gold) and the hammer spring doesn't have that 20 degree bend in it that goes around the hammer.

Furthermore, usually no spring in any Colt is gold colored. The magazine release spring is sometimes a light gold.

I would order your large hammer/trigger pins from SAW or Brownells. Some other aftermarket large pins seem to be made rougher and have a cheaper blued finish.

A Colt bolt catch will never have any flash on it and you shouldn't see any offset at the parting line going through it. Most of them are marked with a letter or number or some other marking.

I would also strongly recommend a Type 1 hammer from SAW. These hammers don't have the slam fire notch cut in them. They are not cheap but they wear better and ride smoother. An LMT hammer would be good if you have small pins. They don't have the slam fire notch either.

Telling some of these parts apart is very difficult until you start looking at many of them and start noticing the minute differences in machining, forming, and finish.

I have also noticed the (stainless) springs in 6920s and have seen them like that in Stag LPK. I have also noticed the RRA LPK seems like good quality but they have the gold colored hammer spring and are stiffer than the Colt and Stag springs. Dont know if that really matters but I figured I throw that in. Now I just got another LPK directly from Stag and this one has the notchless hammer like LMT but this one came with the gold spring. It still has the correct stainless grip screw and the correct Stag style safty. The only thing I dont care for is the the pins are blued, not parked and are rolled pins instead of split pins.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ar_mcadams View Post
    I have also noticed the (stainless) springs in 6920s and have seen them like that in Stag LPK. I have also noticed the RRA LPK seems like good quality but they have the gold colored hammer spring and are stiffer than the Colt and Stag springs. Dont know if that really matters but I figured I throw that in. Now I just got another LPK directly from Stag and this one has the notchless hammer like LMT but this one came with the gold spring. It still has the correct stainless grip screw and the correct Stag style safty. The only thing I dont care for is the the pins are blued, not parked and are rolled pins instead of split pins.

I would not trust any blued hammer/trigger pins. DPMS uses blued hammer/trigger pins.

Hammer/trigger pins have alot of stress on them and is one of the last things I would cheap out on in an LPK.

They can break and jam themselves causing a potentially dangerous situation. If the carrier comes back forcefully after firing a round, the pin will take all the force and it could egg out your hammer pin hole in your lower.

Feedback Score
    I can't recall where it was, but someone posted some disconnector pictures that looked pretty crappy - rough around the edges. I've noticed that most parts kits I've gotten from various places not only look like that, but on close examination they all look to be produced on the same equipment. You can't really tell one apart from another. My Colt and LMT disconnectors have not looked like that.

Also, on the Stag LPK's - I've bought LPK's directly from Stag, as well as Colt parts from SAW. The selector switches were virtually identical - you can't tell them apart with a magnifying glass - but some of the other parts, the Colt ones seemed to be of better quality.

I had one Stag LPK with a hammer that had the face polished extensively, but it was wasn't ground perpendicular. Later hammers I got from them were a different style and were not polished.

Personally, what I've preferred to do is buy a couple LPK's from, say, Bravo Co, some spare parts kits/commonly lost parts kits from Bushmaster for springs and such, and Colt fire control parts, bolt catches, and roll pins. Possibly take-down pins, as well. I then cherry pick parts for my build and have a nice set of spares left over.

If there were LMT LPK's available I'd definitely go for those.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by boltcatch View Post
    I can't recall where it was, but someone posted some disconnector pictures that looked pretty crappy - rough around the edges. I've noticed that most parts kits I've gotten from various places not only look like that, but on close examination they all look to be produced on the same equipment. You can't really tell one apart from another. My Colt and LMT disconnectors have not looked like that.

Also, on the Stag LPK's - I've bought LPK's directly from Stag, as well as Colt parts from SAW. The selector switches were virtually identical - you can't tell them apart with a magnifying glass - but some of the other parts, the Colt ones seemed to be of better quality.

I had one Stag LPK with a hammer that had the face polished extensively, but it was wasn't ground perpendicular. Later hammers I got from them were a different style and were not polished.

Personally, what I've preferred to do is buy a couple LPK's from, say, Bravo Co, some spare parts kits/commonly lost parts kits from Bushmaster for springs and such, and Colt fire control parts, bolt catches, and roll pins. Possibly take-down pins, as well. I then cherry pick parts for my build and have a nice set of spares left over.

If there were LMT LPK's available I'd definitely go for those.

Disconnector should be uniform with straight 90 edges.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast