Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Corrosion Testing (New Pics - 5-08-12)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post
    I have always used it on revolver actions and such. I'm wondering if it has been reformulated because some where in the back of my mind I thought it wasn't a good preservative.
    Like you I've used it since the 80's on my bicycles and still use Tri-Flow. It still smells, feels and tastes the same as it did in '84.

I own a bicycle shop and run USPSA matches and have tried every miracle lube I can think of on guns and bikes. None of them are as smooth cycling and durable as Tri-Flow.

I have used it personally in temps from -8F to +108F and have never had a problem with viscosity (I compared -8 Tri-flow to room temp and it was unchanged to my layman's observation).

Feedback Score
    Very helpful and much appreciated. I have always just grabbed whatever is available but I now can make an educated decision. Thank you sir.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by savage View Post
    ... The theory is that if moisture is introduced to a oiled surface it can SINK below that coating BUT the water on a Q20 coated surface will remain on top. ...
    =======================================

Hmmmm... Since that "theory" depends strictly on gravity, Q20 would work great on the topside of the gun but what about the bottom side.
    I think when it gets down to the nut-cuttin', it is obvious here, the "formulation" is what it is all about.

I don't think there is a single item known to mankind that has more gimmicks, claims, theories, better ideas, etc. than gun oils and greases.
    I haven't tried all of the oils & greases tested here, but I have tried a fair number of them and there are only a few that I have consistently used over the years.

When you look at the different oil/greases here and the few that make the grade...it makes you wonder what suckers we gun owners are? Oh well...

But maybe it's just me...

Last edited by ucrt; 04-29-12 at 08:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by evilblackrifle View Post
    Wedge, thanks for helping cut through the hype of the industry.

Was the Smith & Wesson product their Advanced Gun Oil?
    It is S&W Premium Lubricant & Protectant. It's part of their newer line of gun care products that Jerry Miculek has been promoting lately. It looks like pretty good stuff.
    "The history of gun fighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William H. Jordan 1965

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Wedge,

Curious as to why you tried regular Breakfree but not Breakfree Collector Long Term Gun Storage Preservative?

http://www.break-free.com/?location=/products/index.asp

Mark
    Last edited by mpom; 04-29-12 at 11:51. Reason: added link

Feedback Score
    So I looked at all the samples really close today. Th only sample with no signs of corrosion whatsoever is the Eezox. It looks as new and clean as the day I coated it. Every other sample had some signs of corrosion, some very minor others, well you can see. In my personal opinion, for strictly rust prevention, Eezox is hands down the product to use. I usually pick it up at the gun show but you can buy it online too.

http://www.eezox.com/

If you're looking for a good CLP the Weapon Shield line looks very promising. If I recall correctly weapon shield is made by the same gentleman that made FP-10, George Fennelle. I believe he sold the FP-10 line to shooters Choice and started steel shield.

http://www.steelshieldtech.com/weaponshield.htm

So here's a photo of the winner:

Here's four of the best samples:

And the final board:
    "The history of gun fighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William H. Jordan 1965

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mpom View Post
    Wedge,

Curious as to why you tried regular Breakfree but not Breakfree Collector Long Term Gun Storage Preservative?

Mark
    First that I've heard of it, sorry.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Your test mirrors my experience on using TriFlow. I've used it extensively over the last 10 years on my blued hunting rifles and they've survived without a single spec of rust in some of Alaska's harshest environments like Kodiak and Prince of Wales Island. Might not be the best lubricant for AR's, but it definitely protects from corrosion well. It's also easily found unlike many gun specific lubricants.

The only lubricant that's not on the board (that I can see) is ATF. I'd love to know if it works well.
    I do these tests every so often when I have a bunch of new products. I've tested ATF in the past and it performed similar to regular motor oil.

For what it's worth, the last time I shot with Ken Hackathorn I asked him what wizbang product he preferred for his guns. He chuckled and showed me a bottle of 10W30 motor oil.
    Last edited by wedgehead30; 04-29-12 at 11:53.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wedgehead30 View Post
    First that I've heard of it, sorry.
    Wedge,
    I can mail you a bottle if you wouldn't mind posting the results.

I've got grandads old hunting rifles that need to be stored for a while and I'd be curious to see how the collector compares to eezox.

Feedback Score
    Thanks again Wedge, very informative and extremely helpful.
    "This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?"-Iraqgunz

"You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime." - B. Munro

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast