Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Texas DPS SOG team selects Sig Sauer 1911 TACOPs.

Feedback Score
    I don't know how DPS works but in most places your SWAT/HRT/SOG/etc ARE traffic/patrol cops when not specifically called out for an incident. All cops should have a decent gun and at least enough training to become and stay proficient.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    Where are you from? The Texas DPS doesn't help anyone.

FWIW, I'm friends with and shoot with a lot of city and county LEO, some CBP, Border Patrol and even a Marshall or two. So I'm not anti-LE, the Texas DPS is just so full of itself it makes me sick.
    While not from TX, I've lived there while in the military for several years, and I've interacted with DPS and various local police in my profession. My experience with TX DPS is similar to any other of the various states that I've lived in with a highway patrol. The DPS troopers (yes, they carry that title out of the academy) seem to be a little cut above most municipal police forces in TX. I attribute this to the fact that DPS trainees attend a live-in academy which seems to produce a more polished product than most day academies. They also seem to maintain fitness standards a little better since it is rare to see an obese trooper. Again, this is a trend that I notice across the nation as a rigorous live-in academy does a great job of separating the wheat from the shaft.

In other words, they are like all other state highway patrol agencies - a well trained paramilitary organization that does a good job at their primary mission of enforcing highway laws, safety, and investigating crimes related to transportation across TX. Most of this primary mission is carried out in the more rural areas of TX with poor county or municipal resources. Thus, it is very possible that DPS troopers would be the first LEOs on the scene at a rural school shooting just like what happened in CT last week with the CT State Troopers. They also have secondary missions of providing the state executive protection, EOD disposal, helo rescue, marine unit, capitol protection, some border enforcement, etc.

They are not, however, a state police agency. That means that the investigation of major crimes falls on their sister organization WITHIN the DPS - the TX Rangers. Thus, it is not surprising that the Rangers draw their ranks from the best performing troopers within the DPS organization. While TX gives a distinctive name to is state investigative agency, this model is actually similar to other states such as NC, SC, GA, etc. that divide state law enforcement into 2 separate agencies - one for highway crimes and another for major investigative work. For example, NC has a Highway Patrol which focuses on interdicting traffic crime, and a State Bureau of Investigation which handles major criminal investigations into fraud, OIS, internet crimes, etc. Other states such as VA, Mass, NY combine these duties into a single state police where troopers typically start on the highway, and can progress in their careers to investigators if they wish.

Bottom line, TX DPS does a great job helping the law abiding citizens of TX just like every other state's HP. I suppose the people who get the least "help" are the one most intent on breaking the law…
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    They're ****in' traffic cops. Who cares what they have??
    First off, I apologize that my comment sparked such a debate when I had no intention of doing so. It was merely just an observation on my part.

Second, you better watch what you say here. I'm willing to bet a good number of members on this forum are what you consider to be just a "****ing traffic cop".

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by smoky View Post
    Second, you better watch what you say here. I'm willing to bet a good number of members on this forum are what you consider to be just a "****ing traffic cop".
    I know that and no disrespect meant toward them.

I just don't understand the hard-on people get over the TX DPS. Like they're some lawmen fighting the good fight or something. Not really, they hide out where you can't see 'em and pop you for 5 over out in the boonies.

And they're generally dick heads.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If police officers don't like the equipment and training they recieve, they are free to seek it on their own.

If they don't, they are free to find another job where they generally they would make much less money, work longer hours unpaid and will require much more education.

I find myself not having very much symapthy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    While not from TX, I've lived there while in the military for several years, and I've interacted with DPS and various local police in my profession. My experience with TX DPS is similar to any other of the various states that I've lived in with a highway patrol. The DPS troopers (yes, they carry that title out of the academy) seem to be a little cut above most municipal police forces in TX. I attribute this to the fact that DPS trainees attend a live-in academy which seems to produce a more polished product than most day academies. They also seem to maintain fitness standards a little better since it is rare to see an obese trooper. Again, this is a trend that I notice across the nation as a rigorous live-in academy does a great job of separating the wheat from the shaft.

In other words, they are like all other state highway patrol agencies - a well trained paramilitary organization that does a good job at their primary mission of enforcing highway laws, safety, and investigating crimes related to transportation across TX. Most of this primary mission is carried out in the more rural areas of TX with poor county or municipal resources. Thus, it is very possible that DPS troopers would be the first LEOs on the scene at a rural school shooting just like what happened in CT last week with the CT State Troopers. They also have secondary missions of providing the state executive protection, EOD disposal, helo rescue, marine unit, capitol protection, some border enforcement, etc.

They are not, however, a state police agency. That means that the investigation of major crimes falls on their sister organization WITHIN the DPS - the TX Rangers. Thus, it is not surprising that the Rangers draw their ranks from the best performing troopers within the DPS organization. While TX gives a distinctive name to is state investigative agency, this model is actually similar to other states such as NC, SC, GA, etc. that divide state law enforcement into 2 separate agencies - one for highway crimes and another for major investigative work. For example, NC has a Highway Patrol which focuses on interdicting traffic crime, and a State Bureau of Investigation which handles major criminal investigations into fraud, OIS, internet crimes, etc. Other states such as VA, Mass, NY combine these duties into a single state police where troopers typically start on the highway, and can progress in their careers to investigators if they wish.

Bottom line, TX DPS does a great job helping the law abiding citizens of TX just like every other state's HP. I suppose the people who get the least "help" are the one most intent on breaking the law…
    I find every state's Highwaypatrol/ state troopers to be the most useless of all LEO's and the biggest waste of resources. They are revenue generating agencies that could care less about reducing crime or real police work.

Feedback Score
    In addition to the Texas Rangers, TXDPS also has a Criminal Investigative Division which handles a wide variety of crimes. CID is actually larger than the Rangers.

Regarding the TACOPS pistols, "Tactical Weapons" had an article on the selection of SOG pistols in the September issue. According to the article, TXDPS only purchased twenty-five of the pistols for issue to the Texas Ranger SWAT team. Two hundred engraved pistols were privately purchased by TXDPS personnel. SOG personnel supposedly have the option of carrying either the TACOPS or their SIG 226DAK.

The reasoning behind the purchase was supposedly that the SIG 226DAK "not as easy to use when it is necessary to deliver fast follow-up shots". (Jeesh, I could have told them that.) Additionally, it was felt that the 357SIG round "is capable of over-penetrating" building material which would be more of a concern for a unit doing tasked with building entries than it would before other DPS units.

Perhaps a somewhat wiser weapons choice was the adoption of LaRue Tactical OBR's for the Ranger SWAT team, tactical flight officers, and, in lesser numbers, to other SOG elements.

As you might expect from a gun-zine review, the TACOPS, the SIG DAK, and the OBR all function flawlessly. (No mention of the Bushmasters, interestingly enough.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TurretGunner View Post
    I find every state's Highwaypatrol/ state troopers to be the most useless of all LEO's and the biggest waste of resources. They are revenue generating agencies that could care less about reducing crime or real police work.
    It sounds like you and samuse have a lot in common.
    Last edited by Sensei; 12-18-12 at 17:05.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    I'd like to take a minute and thank everybody in this thread (and on this board) who has chosen a career in law enforcement.

You're brave souls, you are.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    I know that and no disrespect meant toward them.

I just don't understand the hard-on people get over the TX DPS. Like they're some lawmen fighting the good fight or something. Not really, they hide out where you can't see 'em and pop you for 5 over out in the boonies.

And they're generally dick heads.
    I am a Peace Officer in Texas. Yes some are dick heads, I know a lot of them. However, I would like to submit this for your consideration. When you go out every day and work long hours and risk your life doing a job where you have to deal with assholes like you all day, you wouldn't be to friendly either.
    More bad guys are caught by "****ing traffic cops" than anybody else. Traffic is how WE find violators, I can't tell you how many arrests I have gotten and dope I have seized off of traffic stops.
    I don't care if they ban me for this, someone has to say it.

Your to stupid to talk, I think I lost some brain cells just reading your posts. If you just want to spout dumb shit go join some liberal pro Obama site.
    Now if you will excuse me I need some sleep, I have to be up at 4am so I can go stop some poor innocent speeders.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast