Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Is the "panic" affecting your plans?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailer View Post
    My shooting was disrupted in 2009 by the post-election ammo buying frenzy. I vowed not to get caught with my pants down again.

Assuming ammo becomes available within the next couple of years I'll be OK.
    Same here.

A year out of the last election, I began to stockpile 556/9mm/45ACP ammo and mags that went with them. For every box of ammo I shot at a match, I replaced it with two. I plan to shoot this year like the last. After that if it doesn't improve I can reduce by half in 2014 and go another two years.

Funny thing is that for once, being a cult follower of the .38 Super is working out for me. Its in stock. Just order another 1000 rounds for Midway last Thursday and it arrived today. Might have to shoot more ESP in IDPA than in the past.
    D. Mark
    Gentleman Farmer. U.S. Army (Ret)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DMark View Post
    Same here.

A year out of the last election, I began to stockpile 556/9mm/45ACP ammo and mags that went with them. For every box of ammo I shot at a match, I replaced it with two. I plan to shoot this year like the last. After that if it doesn't improve I can reduce by half in 2014 and go another two years.

Funny thing is that for once, being a cult follower of the .38 Super is working out for me. Its in stock. Just order another 1000 rounds for Midway last Thursday and it arrived today. Might have to shoot more ESP in IDPA than in the past.
    I noticed the same with 5.45.
    (I have one AK for it)

I would have periods of cheap, plentiful ammo,
    then dry spots here and there.

Lo and behold on the emply pallets of the LGS,
    were still some surplus spam cans of it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I did the the AKs and its ammo deal in 2009-2010 once the 2008 panic cooled off.

I figured that since some un-named and un-elected ATF staffer on the Firearms Technology Branch could make a "rule" about the import of those items (wouldn't even need an Obama EO) that would be the area that the Libs would first go.

Still expect that will happen with Joe's recommendations for EOs.

Those tin cans of 5.45X39 might become the best investments I ever made.
    D. Mark

Feedback Score
    I'm done. Between the prices and stuff at my job I'm not shooting the action sports anymore for the next few years. Sold the dillon 650, sold the limited gun, selling my 3 gun rifle, sold the benelli and my belt rig.

On the bright side, Im reinvesting in a bolt gun and will get into the long range games.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FishingFool View Post
    I'm done......
    I understand. Happened to me. Wife, Kids, 94 AWB, Couple of Wars, etc., etc.

Just make sure that you return before you find out that you can no longer focus on the front sight.
    D. Mark

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not much change for me. I have several thousand rounds and components for .223, .30-02, 9mm, .40 and .45 and half that for M1 Carbine, a truckload of .22LR and "enough" 12 ga and misc calibers.

I was stocking up gradually after 1994, and then accelerated more around 2005-2008. About the only difference is that I purchased an 8# keg of H335 just after Sandy Hook instead of waiting another couple of months. I'm only planning to purchase bargains this year which may be nothing, but most likely something used like a bolt or lever action or revolver just for fun.

I have not changed my shooting pace yet and should be able to keep it up for another year. If in a few months components have not recovered, then I will shift to more .22LR shooting time and more selective use of centerfire.

Feedback Score
    If this lasts longer it will. However, locally we had a recent IDPA match that set a record for participation at over 100 shooters. Get into reloading gents.

Feedback Score
    yep, 5.45 still on the shelves locally,
    no more spam cans but the paper wrapped 30 rounds from them.

30 cents a round is a good bit more than it used to be, but its there.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 19852 View Post
    Get into reloading gents.
    Good luck finding SPP

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I am in a bit of a situation. I have about 3500 FMJ bullets to load and about 2000 match bullets. My problem is I have had friends ask me to load them ammo and I agreed but I can't resupply right now. If I over extend I will not have enough for myself but I hate to see new shooters be without ammo. Am I being greedy by not wanting to load out ammo for others?
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast