Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention full size HK 45 owners

Feedback Score

Exclamation Attention full size HK 45 owners

As many of you know I was a key player in the development of this pistol - overall I think it turned out well but frankly there where a few things that HK Oberndorf overlooked late in the final development of the pistol - this is mainly due to the fact that neither I nor Ken Hackathorn (who also helped with the design) was involved at that point but that is another story .....

The problem area involves the trigger guard/mag release/trigger overtravel area - there is some excessive overtravel which magnifies the fact that some edges and corners inside the trigger guard and the L shaped mag catch bite the trigger finger when you shoot the pistol - this affects approx 75% of the people who shoot the weapon; same goes for the HK P30 except it is not as bad with a 9mm vs a .45 - the HK 45 Compact is not really a problem as it was left in the same configuration as the prototype HK 45's with a P2000 style frame (which all things considered I wish the full size had been left alone but then again that is another story also....)

The good news is my bro David Bowie of Bowie Tactical Concepts (www.bowietacticalconcepts.com) - a polymer frame pistolsmith of the highest order - has done some mods that totally fix the problem

With my explanation of the problem areas and his efforts he has come up with a few critical mods that enhance the shootability of the pistol tremendously - every fullsize HK 45 should have this package - the 'Vickers HK 45 mods' for lack of a better term - they address the areas of the trigger guard/mag release/overtravel stop and basically fix what the factory did not

Feel free to contact Dave directly ref this package - combine this with a Bowie 360 stipple job and you are off and running with the HK 45 - that is until good aftermarket sights become available

I'm sure a number of you are saying 'why the hell should I have to have a pistolsmith fix a $900 pistol that should be right out of the box' - no argument there as it definately should not have to be done

But I have come to realize that most every weapon I buy has to be modified to suit my needs - that is part of being a savvy end user - and I no longer hold it against a given weapon because of that fact - if I had I sure as hell would never have even owned a 1911 - just be sure that the mods are for the right reason; performance enhancement and not as a crutch - there is a key difference

Hope this helps anyone seriously looking at the new HK pistols

be safe

LAV

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks Larry for this post.

I was honestly thinking about letting the HK 45 go because of this issue....and I was hoping someone would be able to address it.

Looks like my HK 45 will be taking a trip.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I'm working on the sight issue as we speak
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Feedback Score
    FYI ; I just read that Heinie has sights for the HK 45 now and I hear Tooltech Gunsite will install tritium inserts into the factory sights

Good news for all as more options come on the market

cheers

LAV

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Larry, would you know if there are flat or slimmer base plates for the HK45 magazines?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I got to play with an early version of this.

It definitely had lots of promise.

Sounds like it has been developed further.

Feedback Score
    Larry,

This will really make that pistol worthwhile. I know that when I shot one of these, I sure got my trigger finger "stung" by the mag release slamming into it during recoil. That and the price made me think I will stay with an M&P for a polymer .45 ACP.

And, David Bowie will do an excellent job on the work.

Thanks for the heads up.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Damn you Larry Vickers!

I'm broke mot&$^&$, I'm broke!!
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I would love to see pictures of this modification. I don't recall any pinching, so maybe I was in the 25% of non-effected shooters.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    I would love to see pictures of this modification. I don't recall any pinching, so maybe I was in the 25% of non-effected shooters.
    I don't recall pinching either. It is interesting to hear from one of the designer's mouth about what it should be. Damn those German engineers. If it weren't for them we would have a regular sized slide on a P7M10.

I would like to see pics of the mod also. Something I will definitely look into.

I have the HK45C too. Thanks Larry for an great handgun!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast