Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting article by Army SOF on MK18 use

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Two of my high school buddies are marines and they said the brass wouldn't allow them to have a vfg in the forward half of their hand guard. This was 2008-09 ish, no idea if that is still protocol now.
    That's asinine.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Best of bagram? That 550 cord m4 counts as my first. Here's my second entry. This one is more "abstract art" that demonstrates my feelings of war.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Best of bagram? That 550 cord m4 counts as my first. Here's my second entry. This one is more "abstract art" that demonstrates my feelings of war.
    We'll make it another thread in GD.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Sadly it's not just the support guys. I saw it a lot in the infantry too. And regarding the placement of the grip, I think it may be a Marine SOP. Every single picture I have ever seen of a Marine with a grip on his rifle, it has been back almost all the way to the magwell. That or a lot of them just use the magwell instead. Not sure why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Much with it has to do with carry the rifle many thousands of hours compared shooting it for minutes, it is much easier to carry that way for long distance without slinging it; also in the mid 2000s the training was to assume a boxer stance and where your hands fell when you threw them up was approximate where your foregrip went

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cd228 View Post
    I believe he is ask how Dano was able to deploy personnally owned uppers. I can say that I've seen minor mods,personnal optics, grips, stocks, endplates, accu wedges and agency adapters down range in Rifle Companies. I'm sure there are units whose COC is willing to underwrite or authorize personnally owned uppers.
    Typically if your command is willing to put your personal upper on the unit's property book before you deploy, then that upper is now technically unit property. When the ISU90 gets inspected, and they see your upper and match it to the property book, it won't raise any eyebrows.

There are guys in SOF units that bring complete personally owned rifles and other weapons with them on a deployment. Take this guy and his AR for example. Notice the semi auto lower...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not this one again...

UNITS. DO. NOT. PUT. PERSONAL. ITEMS. ON. UNIT. PROPERTY. BOOKS.

What is the mechanism to do this? What form adds your personal upper to the unit's property book? What codes does PBUSE use, and what line item name is assigned for a weapon that is not in the military system? What are the regulations for non-standard weapons and how they are authorized by Department of (Insert Services' Name) to be added to specialized units as an authorized weapon (HK21, HK416, Glocks early on, specialty SWS, among many others)? Why do we have billion-dollar testing and fielding programs if a field-grade and below commander can substitute personally owned weapons systems (hint...they can't)?

I find this myth to be as absurd as "lube attracts dirt and makes guns less reliable." I've seen plenty of people take uppers (which was never a big deal) and guns (a very big deal) downrange. For firearms specifically, some made it back unscathed as many specialized units do their own Customs inspections, or the USN/USAF members that perform the main customs duties in theater don't know what half of our stuff is so they just shrug and let it pass. Make no mistake, I know SOF SGMs that have had careers ended by taking a pistol downrange also. As always, do what you think you can get away with. Every one of those guys that have been busted, and there have been plenty, knew it was wrong but figured they could get away with it. Some did, some didn't.

I question the judgement or at least knowledge of a guy that leaves a Colt M4 behind so he can carry his Podunk Precision Billet Zombie Edition AR with an unstaked gas key and sweet commericial extension into combat anyways.
    IAW site rules, I work for Magpul Industries

This is a personal account and the opinions expressed may not reflect those of Magpul Industries

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Guru View Post
    Not this one again...

UNITS. DO. NOT. PUT. PERSONAL. ITEMS. ON. UNIT. PROPERTY. BOOKS.

What is the mechanism to do this? What form adds your personal upper to the unit's property book? What codes does PBUSE use, and what line item name is assigned for a weapon that is not in the military system? What are the regulations for non-standard weapons and how they are authorized by Department of (Insert Services' Name) to be added to specialized units as an authorized weapon (HK21, HK416, Glocks early on, specialty SWS, among many others)? Why do we have billion-dollar testing and fielding programs if a field-grade and below commander can substitute personally owned weapons systems (hint...they can't)?

I find this myth to be as absurd as "lube attracts dirt and makes guns less reliable." I've seen plenty of people take uppers (which was never a big deal) and guns (a very big deal) downrange. For firearms specifically, some made it back unscathed as many specialized units do their own Customs inspections, or the USN/USAF members that perform the main customs duties in theater don't know what half of our stuff is so they just shrug and let it pass. Make no mistake, I know SOF SGMs that have had careers ended by taking a pistol downrange also. As always, do what you think you can get away with. Every one of those guys that have been busted, and there have been plenty, knew it was wrong but figured they could get away with it. Some did, some didn't.

I question the judgement or at least knowledge of a guy that leaves a Colt M4 behind so he can carry his Podunk Precision Billet Zombie Edition AR with an unstaked gas key and sweet commericial extension into combat anyways.
    Sorry for derailing the thread.

How come uppers aren't a big deal?

Also: I was asking docsherm how he was taking personal uppers on deployment, as I've always assumed that shit was a no-go.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Gotta say, I'm happily surprised by the quality of the response.
    Well played.
    Yeah, if I didn't know any better, I would assume it was somebody trying to justify their collection of random SOF-looking clone builds. Well... I don't know any better, it just feels exactly like that.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    When I read all the back and forth about which peice
    of kit will keep you alive or get you killed or what
    have you, I remember some words of wisdom. For
    those who don't share my worldview just take it for
    what it's worth.

Psalm 44:6-7 For I will not trust in my bow, Nor shall
    my sword save me. 7 But You have saved us from our
    enemies, And have put to shame those who hated us.

Some will understand this and some will not.
    Last edited by Honorthecall81; 07-26-14 at 10:59.
    Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.
    C. S. Lewis

Yes I even own the Magpul iPhone cover. Wanna make something of it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Guru View Post
    For firearms specifically, some made it back unscathed as many specialized units do their own Customs inspections, or the USN/USAF members that perform the main customs duties in theater don't know what half of our stuff is so they just shrug and let it pass. Make no mistake, I know SOF SGMs that have had careers ended by taking a pistol downrange also. As always, do what you think you can get away with. Every one of those guys that have been busted, and there have been plenty, knew it was wrong but figured they could get away with it. Some did, some didn't.
    What it comes down to is the customs inspection when you come back. If your SOF unit conducts their own checks, chances are you will probably get away with it, should you happen to have a personal weapon in your Storm case. Maybe USASOC takes a much dimmer view regarding personal weapons being brought overseas. In stark contrast to Army SOF E9's getting shitcanned over bringing a pistol downrange, it was not an uncommon sight to see NSW personnel with personal handguns in theater. I've seen guys with everything from 1911's, USP's, various Glocks, etc. Chris Kyle even talked about bringing his personal Sig P220 with him to Iraq in his book.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast