11 (100%)
    Savage 10PC .223
    "Run fast. Shoot straight. Die proud." -Boba Fett

Trample the weak. Hurdle the dead.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems." -Ryan Job

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Best group to date has been a five shot .68" grouping with M118LR.
    Really need to get off my arse and get a load worked up for this.

Remmy AAC-SD
    Timney 512
    Badger 20 degree base with lug
    Badger standard .823" rings
    Nightforce 3.5-15 NXS, zero stop, MOA, NP-R1
    Manners TF-3 stock
    Atlas

Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Nice rifles here!

I purchased my 700 TAC Shitty Plastic Stock nearly two year ago. Before I fired a shot with it, the SPS was replaced with a B&C and a Timney 510 was installed, left at the factory pull weight (about 3.4 pounds). I went with a SWFA SS HD 10X42 mounted in Seekins low rings on a Leupold steel base bedded to the receiver.

Shooting on a bench and bags, the rifle rarely did any worse then .7 MOA with Federal Gold Medal Match 168 factory loads. Doing my part, it would shoot .5 MOA with some consistency. Here is my best five round group to date at 100 yards;

After my first outings with the 700 set up this way, I came within a keyboard click of ordering a Manners mini-chassis, but decided at the last moment to use those funds for my 11-87 HD project and a Savage .22 rimfire bolt gun project. But I have made some tweaks to the 700;

1. Installed a Tac-Pro cheek riser, which gives me the extra 5/8" in comb height to get a very comfortable and consistent eye alignment with the scope.

2. After reading how to correctly do so, I adjusted the eyepiece to render the reticle razor sharp. How my dumb ass managed to shoot the groups I did with an out-of-focus reticle still leaves me wondering.

3. Installed a 2.25" sunshade. The range I use faces south and early in the day I had direct sunlight on the objective lens.

4. Installed zero stop shims

5. Replaced the weak, cast bottom metal with a steel unit from Stockys.

6. Bedded the trigger guard assembly, which addressed an inletting issue on the stock that was causing the trigger guard to distort as I tightened the rear action screw.

7. Adjusted the Timney to 2.9 pounds, and now at 2.1 pounds to be consistent with the trigger pull weight on my Savage MKll-FV with Apachee trigger kit. The modified trigger on the Savage is IMO better than the Timney.

8. Did a textured rattle can paint job on the stock

9. Purchased a Mountain Shooter Sling and have been doing dry fire exercises with it, both on the 700 and the Savage.

10. Though not a rifle modification, I installed the MD Ballistics program on my iPhone. They have a version that uses the SWFA Mil-Quad Reticle, which has given me a much better understanding of its use and appreciation of the reticle design itself.

I have yet to fire the rifle again since all of these tweaks were made but plan on doing so in the coming weeks, at 100 yards off the bench and bags, and at 300 yards off the bipod and rear bag. I am hoping to be able to shoot those .5 MOA or better groups more consistently.

Photos of how it stands now;

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights