Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Train with M855, which JSP to use for home defense?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Does the Federal Tactical TRU Soft Point 64 Grain use the same bullet as the Fusion?
    No. It's a generic soft point meant to compete with the Winchester version. It's a decent round, but won't perform like the Gold Dot/Fusion bullet.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    but won't perform like the Gold Dot/Fusion bullet.
    True, but for home defense it is a pretty decent choice.

Not many car windshields in most folks' living rooms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    True, but for home defense it is a pretty decent choice.

Not many car windshields in most folks' living rooms.
    Certainly.

I wasn't making a value judgment about it's performance, just answering the question.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Just trying to figure out if it will be less prone to leaving lead on the feed ramps. Can't seem to find any of the Speer Gold Dot available for sale to civilians.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I wasn't making a value judgment about it's performance, just answering the question.
    Understood, I only meant to piggy back off of your answer.
    Last edited by tpd223; 08-30-10 at 18:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Just trying to figure out if it will be less prone to leaving lead on the feed ramps. Can't seem to find any of the Speer Gold Dot available for sale to civilians.
    I didn't have any issues with it, but in fairness, I've only shot a couple boxes of it in testing. I'm looking at one now, and it does have a tiny bit more exposed lead at the tip than Gold Dot, but less than the Winchester 64 grain.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Understood, I only meant to piggy back off of your answer.
    10-4, no worries.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I apologize, I know this is a necro-post, but this was the closest thing I could find to my question while searching.

I run two 5.56 ARs, one 12" custom SBR and one 16" BCM middy. I use the BCM mostly for 3-gun and 2-gun matches and it wears an optic with a BDC calibrated for M855.

I'm about to start bulking up on ammo again as my stash is getting low. I'd like to purchase an expanding bullet to use for home defense/SHTF/hunting/whatever and keep using the M855 for training, plinking, most matches, etc.. But I'd like the option to run that same ammo in either my SBR or middy interchangeably and still have the BDC be at least close to head-shot capable out to a couple hundred yards.

Being that this thread is a few years old, is there anything new on the market that would closely match the M855 BDC?

I'm guessing the .223 Fusion is not loaded to 5.56mm pressure, so would have a good bit more drop. What about 5.56 62gr TSX (should any ever be in stock)? 62gr TAP Barrier Soft Point? I have some Mk318 but online supply is limited and it isn't expanding per-se. Then there's the SSA 63gr soft point of which I can find very little information.

Or is it just a lost cause?

Thanks in advance. This forum rocks.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You have to buy a few boxes of stuff and go shoot it. See what POIs the best for you.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yeah. I'd definitely confirm on the range. Unfortunately almost none of the good stuff I'd available locally.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Have you thought about a Mk262 type round? MY 1/9 CL barrel shoots ~.6moa with Mk262 cloned handloads. Don't ask me how, but it does. I was really surprised.

Since you mentioned the 62gr TSX, if you can find a mfg loading the 70gr TSX, that would be much more desirable IMO. I think SSA loads (or has loaded in the past) a 70gr TSX round.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast