Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What's The Allure of SBR's?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
    I've no clue why SBR's are so popular?

This is by no means criticism, but what do I not understand?

Easier to get on target?

Handier than an AR with a 16" barrel?

Please, clue me in as I've don't know what the appeal is.

Thanks!
    Because they're ****ing awesome and I'm not restricted from owning them.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    .....If you are looking for performance past 300, then an SBR isn't the way to go, in my opinion.
    thnx jack. all those insights helped.

Feedback Score
    I'm actually leaning towards adding MORE SBRs after I "saw the light" in a recent class.

It was 90+ degrees, super humid and miserable. I had an SR15 with a 1-4x optic which is actually pretty handy and well balanced, but the conditions made you aware of every ounce.

The second day I decided to zero and run my 11.5" BCM for shits and giggles. I was amazed at how much easier it made things. The gun felt like an airsoft toy after the previous day. It was so much faster to present, transition between targets, run with, etc. I realized I didn't really have a need for a 16" gun, they were just easier and cheaper to procure. For my "needs", which include home defense, classes, and the eventual downfall of western civilization, an SBR fills all the roles I will ever need, and makes life easier. Plus, when I finally hang a can on it, it'll still be tiny.

In an effort to make it lighter and effective, I added a MI mlok rail, which shaves a bit off the original KAC URX II.

Last edited by 1911-A1; 08-26-15 at 17:26.

Feedback Score
    I decided I wanted a SBR when the company I worked for did our weapons quals overseas. We had some friends who had their own range, an almost unlimited supply of weapons and ammo. We spent a few days using their weapons, ammo and instructors. During one of those range days, one of the group guys lent me his CQBR, and worked me through some drills. That got me hooked on the SBR concept. I knew the company was going to provide us with 16" carbines, but I wished for a smaller carbine for the cockpit. In the end, it didn't matter, I left just before we got our weapons. When I left that job, I picked up a BCM 11.5" and went through the SBR process.

I like the small package, how it can be packed discretely. I like that it's quick on target, up close. I don't have a critical need for a rifle in my vehicle, but I like having the option. I like how light it is too.

There is a penalty when it comes to ballistics, but I feel that can be mitigated by ammo selection. Also, I am started to play with a 10.5" .300blk upper, I figure I will evaluate it, then put it aside with a few hundred rounds of Barnes 110gr black tips. I'll continue to practice with 5.56/.223 though.

I do have other AR's that are more suitable for beyond 200 yards.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    OAL suppressed...
    "I would rather be the hammer than the anvil."- Rommel

Owner: Hangar 18 Custom Coatings

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Chick magnet.

C4
    2012-12-20 001 025.jpg

Feedback Score
    They're fun. To each his own.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flankenstein View Post
    Copy.
    Actually it should be Roger, Out or Wilco. A little levity.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As mentioned earlier, balance, in and out of vehicles and obstacles, plus an SBR with a folding stock is uber concealable.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This site got me hooked. I wanted to build my first AR and have it be an SBR after seeing my first set of Stickman photos. And another and a get a suppressor and build another in 300 Blk. My handguns feel neglected.

And all the other answers.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast