Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carry Handle Fans Unite!

Feedback Score
    I have more fixed sight AR 15's, being non-detachable A2 and A1 sights then with optics.

Optics have their place, but so do irons. I believe to truly be efficient with a rifle, you need to learn iron sights.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Because my fingers don't fit for beans.
    +1 here

I LOVE irons & agree with you about all the advantages of them, all but 1 of my rifles have fixed irons & they are my preferred set-up. I do not see any useful gain with the handle. I would not use a detachable if it was free. If it works for you, then rock on, brother

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I cannot imagine what your fingers look like if you can use a detachable carry handle to hold your AR; but I do have one on my M4 inspired carbine. I am intimately familiar with how the sight works and it's a trip down memory lane every time I shoot it.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-30-17 at 19:35. Reason: I'm holding a baby and trying to type....

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've recently switched to irons only for my home defense setup. My astigmatism has gotten bad enough that red dot sights don't give me a solid point of aim and it doesn't even clean all the way up when looking at it through a rear peep sight. I've found I like running irons with the CSAT rear and a tritium front for most purposes, and I throw on a PA 3x prism on an ADM QD mount when I think I might really need magnification. That will eventually become a TA33. I find I like the irons better than a 1-somethingx variable. Even though I have to line up 2 points, it's an unmagnified view and very fast up close. Irons only keeps the rifle light. Granted, I'm not using the carry handle and instead use Troy flip ups.

Feedback Score

Cool

Have always liked mine; fixed on M16A1, M16A2, M16, AR15A2, & Removable on M4.

Feedback Score
    Irons are fun, but I don't want to have to try to find a fsp while someone is shooting at me, rds/illuminated lpv has its advantages that outweigh weight in certain situations. Ymmv.

Feedback Score
    Was issued my first M16a1 at Fort Knox, KY 39 years ago the end of this month. My first private purchase AR was in 1988 and it was an AR15a2 H-Bar Sporter slabside with a fixed carry handle. Just sent my youngest son off to the USMA Summer training for Freshmen and we spent some time shooting that Colt recently. He had only shot the Colt 6920, 6933 and an LMT SBR in the past. He indicated he rather liked the ergonomics of the carry handle and was disappointed he hadn't explored that weapon earlier.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I like many features that have been eclipsed by new gadgets, but the flat top receivers are pretty awesome. I am not a fan of the carry handle or the detachable handle (which my fingers don't fit into and they are not huge). The weird rotation of the carry handle rear sight drives me to other options for rear sights, and folding options are nice for optics.

The fsb on the other hand is required imo. At the very least a shaved down fsb or a pinned has block is important.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I actually use it as a carry handle!
    You carry your AR like a purse?!?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My last build was a M16A4 type build using a detachable carry handle. The build is still in the works as I have a Magpul MOE forend on it instead of the KAC M5 RAS which will eventually be on it. I love shooting that rifle. I love the simplicity.

For me the "carry handle" is in name only. Im still pretty sure if I actually carried it like that a Drill Sergeant will jump out of the bushes and do very bad things to me. LOL
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast