Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: My First AR

Feedback Score
    Man, I'm getting in late on this.

If this is a treestand gun, forget the bipod (since you'll need a mount or stud, too). Borrow a rest from the range or use your range bag or something else that costs next to nothing. There are many excellent bipods, but I don't recommend anything less than Harris. Honestly, a sandbag or two works better IME.

The only comp I might consider for a hunting gun is the BCM. It really doesn't do anything super well, but it's a nice blend of performance and it won't deafen you as much as some of the other models mentioned here. Honestly, A2 would be fine and it's inexpensive (like the rest of your build). If that sounded snobby, I'm sorry. I just don't see the logic in putting a $150 comp on a $75 dollar barrel, but hey, it's your money! I only hope you can find a decent hunting load that actually groups well.

I'm glad you put a magnified optic on your gun. Vortex was a good move. Their warranty is outstanding.

ETA: I removed my comment about putting a Ferrari body kit on a Pontiac Fiero.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Your max weapon budget is $400, or your optic budget is $400?

Your gasblock and KX3 are pointless, as is playing around with a different buffer tube.

You can't serve two masters. If you are looking to buy the cheapest parts (price and quality), stick with it. If you are looking for enhanced, extended, and other catch words, you are spitting into the wind. Figure out what your actual target and go from there. Currently your parts selection is rather questionable.

I know that comes across kinda harsh telling you that your build list sounds like a 14 year old amped up on no sleep and cases of red bull making a call of duty custom load out, but from an experience point of view, it is just calling a spade a spade. If you were my friend or family member, I wouldn't be quite as nice about the above. Try to take this in the right way and not get offended as I'm actually trying to help you.
    +1 on Stickman's advice

Skip the adjustable gas block it will run great without it. Skip the Noveske Krink hider and get an inexpensive (but effective) flash hider. The Noveske Pig is a good hider, but heavy and meant for a different application. You'll end up hating the weight.

Spend any savings on the Optic, many of us have tried the cheap optics and only the good cheap optics like Primary Arms or some of the Holosun sights are even worth trying. The least I would go is a Bushnell TR25.

I would listen Stickman's and some of the other Pros if I were you. Or you'll waste your money. Sometimes its better to save your money and get something that won't end up in the landfill.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 07-13-17 at 14:39.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the advice. It has helped a lot.
    Went with a YHM Phantom comp/brake(smooth).
    Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40(v-Brite) on Burris PEPR mount.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    -----
    Last edited by Dionysusigma; 07-14-17 at 23:55.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My First AR

Quote Originally Posted by Basscar38 View Post

Why no dust cover for the ejection port?
    It's really going to be a PITA installing it after the rifle is almost complete. That's definitely going to be lesson learned for your next build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PaLEOjd; 07-14-17 at 23:27.

Feedback Score
    Hand guard not completely tightened yet.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ok. I've decided on the Lantac Dragon and most likely the Vortex Spitfire 3x
    Lantac is too expensive relative to your build budget. And relative to its value in your build.

Oh, I was late on this too. Good luck with your "stealth" hunting rifle. Just kidding you. It looks like you got some input and next time (there always is a next time because they are addicting) you will be pickier about your parts selection.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 07-17-17 at 14:47.

Feedback Score
    Already planning the next build

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Already planning the next build
    I'm telling you, you're going to have to find a 12 step program within a year!

Here I'll start it for you:

Start with the Mega MML Extended Rifle Length upper/rail combo. ---Super nice I just built one.

Feedback Score
    Haha. Thanks. Already looking at BCM and Daniels

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast