Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: best sling option

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    IMO regardless of how far out you run the forward attachment, you need a sling that can quickly switch to being 1 point. When I run carbine classes I'm almost always 1 point now because we are forced to shoot ambi. As long as you can quickly transition, I think this is mostly personal preference.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bang4Buck View Post
    IMO regardless of how far out you run the forward attachment, you need a sling that can quickly switch to being 1 point. When I run carbine classes I'm almost always 1 point now because we are forced to shoot ambi. As long as you can quickly transition, I think this is mostly personal preference.
    Have you watched this video? Watch his hand work as he transitions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoGh-tZtKKA

I can't see how running a two-point convertible, then converting to one point is quicker than transitioning with a properly adjusted two point. And after you've converted you've got to convert back to two point in order to do anything with your rifle other than let it dangle with a magnetic attraction for your man parts or the muzzle to mud.

It agree it is personal preference, at one point in time I swore that I'd never us anything but a 3-point. I learned.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Have you watched this video? Watch his hand work as he transitions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoGh-tZtKKA

I can't see how running a two-point convertible, then converting to one point is quicker than transitioning with a properly adjusted two point. And after you've converted you've got to convert back to two point in order to do anything with your rifle other than let it dangle with a magnetic attraction for your man parts or the muzzle to mud.

It agree it is personal preference, at one point in time I swore that I'd never us anything but a 3-point. I learned.

Yes I have seen people use a 2 point with that technique. For me, I just prefer to run as 1 point unless I am climbing or in some situation where a 1 point is not as advantageous. As usual, the operator's skill level is usually more important than the rifle or using 1 vs. 2 point.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a vcas and a vtac and currently use them both with no plans to replace either. The vcas was my first 2 point I picked up in 2008. I didnt quite like it first. It seemed stiff and adjustment a tad jerky. After quite a bit of use the webbing softened up a bit it became quite comfortable and the adjustment smooth.

During the time I was dissatisfied with the vcas I was given a vtac by a marine buddy and I really liked its adjustment my only complaint being the narrow webbing on my unarmored carcass. The loose long running end didnt bother me and didnt hang up on anything though it is certainly possible. When the padded vtac mkII came out I quickly bought one and really liked it. The free running end now had a velcro closure to secure it along the foward portion and in my limited experiences keeps it out of the way. I always replace the too short vtac original adjustment lanyard with a gutted paracord loop an inch or so longer and I think it makes a difference, at least I dont recall ever missing a beat when reaching for the adjuster.

I attach my slings solid the rear of the stock using the slots webbing and buckles so that it comes off the RH side of the stock and enough movement to switch shoulders with out getting choked.
    On the front end I use QDs with a steel socket (magpul) as far forward as practical without interfering with hand placement, about 2/3 of the way.

I like this set up for how the rifle hangs, across the body and its easy to limit its movements when cinched down. I tried various other combinations of attachment points. Im my case I found moving the front attachment to the reciver caused the rifle to hang nearly vertical which was good for some nut taps and getting in way while walking. I also found in prone cinching up the sling for extra support was less effective.

Attaching the back end of the sling to the receiver certainly helped with shoulder transition by keeping the sling away from my neck. The drawbacks for me were the loss of control while slung and it occasionally got in the way of my firing hand. Once I learned to attach the rear of the sling to the RH side of the stock to keep my neck clear I went back to attaching at the extreme ends.

With attachment at both ends its also easy to slip my left shoulder (RH shooter) under the sling leaving it just around my neck making all transitions and manipulations much easier. I wouldnt want to do this for extended periods for the sake of my neck but it works for the short term and adds to the versatility of the 2 point sling. Id like to try out a wotg sling sometime but im in no rush at the moment and no 3rd rifle to mount it on...yet

apologies if long winded and of course YMMV
    Last edited by sgtrock82; 08-13-17 at 23:51.

Feedback Score
    Something to consider, I've been running my 2 or around my neck for max maneuverability. If I gotta run, do something with the hands etc, just put your arm through it.

Been working out so far. I actually picked up the idea from a Jason Falla video.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112