Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Distance Pistol Shooting. Do you practice and what ammo do you use?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterHelix View Post
    Attachment 47956

The holdover isn't as much as you'd think. Aiming at the head or neck of a silhouette target typically results in torso hits.

The 115+P+ had about 3" less drop at 100 yards compared to the 147 grain HST.
    That’s what I use at 100 yards, about an 8” drop with standard 9 mm (non plus P).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Full sized IPSC steel plate and I hold right on the head and get upper center hits. My son holds our family record.. 10 of 15 out of a box stock Glock 19, standing, two hand unsupported at 100. He makes 200's as well, but the hit ratio drops below 50%.

We shoot at those distances quite a bit, especially when we get bored while our buddies sight in their hunting rifles. They never cease to be amazed you can do that with a Glock, much less a handgun.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 10-11-17 at 17:41.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    What a great and timely thread! I've been regularly practicing at 25 yards and 50 yards with a G17. Gonna work on 100 yards next as I'm shooting in a competition in a few weeks and the rumor is there will be a 100 yd pistol shot to make. Anyone have data out to 100 using 124 gr HST's?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    What a great and timely thread! I've been regularly practicing at 25 yards and 50 yards with a G17. Gonna work on 100 yards next as I'm shooting in a competition in a few weeks and the rumor is there will be a 100 yd pistol shot to make. Anyone have data out to 100 using 124 gr HST's?
    Zeroed at what distance?

I use a 10/50 yard zero. 147's have 8.6" of drop at 100, 115+P+ has 5.9", so 124's are probably somewhere in between.

Edit #1: my data was from a g19 with an extended/threaded barrel. Oughta be close to a g17.
    Edit #2: If you don't have the time/opportunity to chrono your load, run the data, and proof it out at 100 yards, I'd say aim for the center of the face/head of the silhouette (or the top edge of the target).
    Last edited by MisterHelix; 10-11-17 at 20:17.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterHelix View Post
    Zeroed at what distance?

I use a 10/50 yard zero. 147's have 8.6" of drop at 100, 115+P+ has 5.9", so 124's are probably somewhere in between.

Edit #1: my data was from a g19 with an extended/threaded barrel. Oughta be close to a g17.
    Edit #2: If you don't have the time/opportunity to chrono your load, run the data, and proof it out at 100 yards, I'd say aim for the center of the face/head of the silhouette (or the top edge of the target).
    10/50 it what I was considering. No, I won't be able to chrono the load, but the data you just supplied gives a good ballpark where to aim. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Elmer Keith had horizontal, gold bars installed of FS on some of his revolvers to accomplish this.
    It works (easier on an N frame S&W with Patridge FS than a Tritium/FO on a P-35 BHP/1911/Glock).
    I shoot 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 and 1 full sight over the top of the rear using a bone stock Glock 22 with factory night sights. Maybe a person could increase the hit percentage at 200 meters with the Elmer Keith modification.

The bottom line is that you train that you are not out of the fight at distances out to 200 meters when armed with a pistol.
    Last edited by T2C; 10-11-17 at 22:06.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    I suppose this is where guys carrying 4" .357 Magnums can feel smug knowing they're working with a fairly flat trajectory. Same for the .357 SIG fans, .38 Super, and 9X23 Winchester, and of course 10mm.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I usually blast tula/wolf 9mm for ~16 cents a round. Or whatever brass is cheapest. I can shoot dime sized groups at 10 yards with the cheap stuff.
    100 yards? Meh, I mess around with that range with pistols sometimes but I consider anything past 30ish yards rifle territory.

I'm a pretty good shot, had plenty of training, but I find anything past 50 yards very challenging with pistols. If you guys can get consistent hits with pistols at 100 that is pretty damn good and impressive. I'm not going to BS and claim I can make solid hits at distance with a pistol.
    Last edited by 5.56 Bonded SP; 10-12-17 at 00:23.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My sincere hope is- if the situation arises where I need to shoot at someone, I have a "long gun" in my hands.
    The reality is, I probably won't.

Training to make hits with a handgun at distance is a skill I'll have a snowballs chance in hell of needing.
    I would rather have that skill and never need to use it, than to need that skill- and have no clue of "what comes next"?

Do I make consistent A/C zone hits at 100 yds.? Nope.
    Do you want me shooting at you at 100 yds. with my carry gun? Nope.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    My sincere hope is- if the situation arises where I need to shoot at someone, I have a "long gun" in my hands.
    The reality is, I probably won't.

Training to make hits with a handgun at distance is a skill I'll have a snowballs chance in hell of needing.
    I would rather have that skill and never need to use it, than to need that skill- and have no clue of "what comes next"?

Do I make consistent A/C zone hits at 100 yds.? Nope.
    Do you want me shooting at you at 100 yds. with my carry gun? Nope.
    The average big-box store here is ~160,000sq feet. That's 400x400ft - or 133 yards x 133 yards. If someone is on the other side of a grocery store with a weapon, that means you could easily be faced with having to make a 100yd+ shot

While the odds are small you will need to ever shoot someone at all - and from there it is even smaller that you will need to shoot someone at 100+ yards - if you do need to make that long distance shot the probability is almost 1 that you will only be armed with a pistol unless you are a Marine in Afghanistan or an LEO on an active shooter call.

It's not a bad skill to hone, and it's fun.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast