Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Build Done

Feedback Score

First Build Done

Hey everyone,

I completed my first build w/ a bunch of help and input from guys here on the forum, friends, and flannel, thot slaying guys like Garand Thumb. I built it, shot it a couple times to function check it and then a buddy of mine was like, "I want it -how much?" So, I sold it to him for what I had into it.

Please feel free to comment, critique, or suggest improvements for future builds.

Aero Forged Lower - no complaints and I would trust the company enough to use it again.
    LPK: CMMG - I had no issues, but I don't like their CS so I will move on to bigger and better.
    Grip: LaRue APEG - I love it, but again no to Larue in the future.
    Trigger: Geissele SD-3G
    Trigger Guard: Phase 5 Winter Trigger Guard
    Safety Selector: Battle Arms Ambi
    Takedown Pins: Battle Arms Enhanced
    Receiver Extension Kit: LaRue - Will not use again and there are posts floating around w/ the reasons.
    Buffer: Carbine Weight
    Buffer Spring: Sprinco White
    Stock: LaRue RAT - I love it, but won't buy again because it's LaRue.

Aero Forged Upper (Assembled) - no complaints.
    Barrel: BA Hanson 16"
    Gas Block: Pinned BA Nitride - Gas block is slightly canted despite pin and aligning set screws with factory marks, but it shot and ran well.
    Gas Tube: LaRue Mid-Length
    Handguard: LaRue 13.2 Quad
    Charging Handle: Geissele SCH
    BCG: Nitride Toolcraft
    Muzzle Device: PA AFAB - I bought it to throw on, but my buddy doesn't want it so I'm keeping it.
    Sights: Troy Folding Battle Sights - I just haven't mounted them.

Finish: Cerakote Smoke - I'm not sold on cerakote over anodizing b/c of my shit experience, but not a knock against the product itself. It looks sexy to me.

Can't think of anything else to say.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hulkstr8; 01-04-18 at 13:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looks nice, not a fan of the trigger guard shape but your build-list looks good too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ACE31 View Post
    Looks nice, not a fan of the trigger guard shape but your build-list looks good too.
    Thanks! Although I like the style of the trigger guard. I might give something else a try next build.

Feedback Score
    Nice parts list for a first build. Did you shoot the BA barrel for groups? Also any reason you went with a carbine buffer over starting with an H buffer?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    Nice parts list for a first build. Did you shoot the BA barrel for groups? Also any reason you went with a carbine buffer over starting with an H buffer?
    Hey,

No I didn't shoot groups. I was basically just test-firing and having some fun -didn't even put sights on it. My buddy wants to sight it in himself.

As far as the buffer set-up, it was twofold. I wanted the gun to run the widest array of ammo and two, I just didn't know any better when I ordered the parts almost a year ago. Moreover, when I ordered the buffer kit from LaRue they sent carbine weight buffers and either red or white sprincos.That being said when I shot the rifle the recoil was so minimal I didn't notice. I compared it to my other friends AR (another home build, but obviously less quality in both parts and labor) and his was a violent recoil impulse.

I honestly don't fully understand the interactive effects of buffer weight, spring strength, and different gas-systems. I purchased two Geissele Super 42s (although they accidentally only sent 1) and I look forward to trying those out.

Feedback Score
    Completed the sale today. I kind of miss the rifle already, but I can start planning out another build in the future.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    Completed the sale today. I kind of miss the rifle already, but I can start planning out another build in the future.
    Don’t get too down man. I went through a phase of building stuff to gain the knowledge, and interest in this or that, getting bored, selling it, and moving on to something else. It’s all part of the circle of life. Still some stuff I regret selling, but it gets better with time lol. Looks like a solid build, and the fact that somebody bought it, I’d say is a good sign.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Nice build. I need friends like yours. Lol.
    Curious - what issue did you have with LaRue? I’ve ordered parts like triggers and rails from them, lots of small parts, but never had an issue. What happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Congrats I suggest a pistol build next time. There are alot of fun!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Nice build. I need friends like yours. Lol.
    Curious - what issue did you have with LaRue? I’ve ordered parts like triggers and rails from them, lots of small parts, but never had an issue. What happened?
    I had a QC issue and the customer service was ridiculously slow. Their solution after nearly six months was essentially to have me lose money. I'm salty as the issue ran all the way up to Mark himself. Moreover, parts ordered were very inconsistent (e.g. I ordered two "springs" along with their buffer kit -which are nothing more than sprinco springs -at the same time, but got a mix of red and white)

I posted a thread about it: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ime&highlight=

The issue is behind me, but I am not in a big hurry to give them any more of my money. Which is a shame because I still like the design of their products like the RAT and APEG.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast