Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The old Army 25m AQT

Feedback Score

The old Army 25m AQT

I have a box of 'em. Fun to try out every now and then. Today I put one up and used my A1 clone. Yep, no RDS or ACOG, just irons. The M16A1 is what I was issued for my 4 years as an Army grunt "back in the day". It's been a while since I did anything with irons other than zeroing them. Most of my shooting in recent times has been RDS, so you get a bit "lazy" if you will. Irons require attention to sight picture.

I don't have a foxhole and didn't fell like laying on the soggy ground (lately it seems I should've built an ark with the incessant rain). So I shot 20 rounds from my bench supported with my hand on a sandbag, and 20 rounds without the sandbag ("unsupported"). The rules on the bottom of the target state if you break the silhouette it is a "hit". I got 36 out of 40, which is the bare minimum for "Expert". One was barely breaking the black in the bottom right hand corner of 300m silhouette but rules is rules!

My A1 clone is a chrome lined 1:7 twist pencil barrel so some time ago I did a 50yd IBSZ with M855. Even though it's a 20" barrel the IBSZ still works out pretty well. I had to put a practice marker up for a few test rounds to see where I was hitting at 25m and I used M193 today as well for the AQT. So not making excuses for myself but I had to hold "high" on each target at 25m to get COM hits, like head level.

If you have an opportunity to get a few AQT's they are a fun way to test your basic marksmanship abilities. Very basic to be sure, but fun nonetheless.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Why is the Army a communist organization that uses the metric system?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Why is the Army a communist organization that uses the metric system?
    Do the maps Marines use not come in 1000m increments? Do you not fire 5.56mm, 7.62mm, 40mm, 60mm, 81mm, 9mm, ammo?

WTF is a mil, anyway?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Do the maps Marines use not come in 1000m increments? Do you not fire 5.56mm, 7.62mm, 40mm, 60mm, 81mm, 9mm, ammo?

WTF is a mil, anyway?
    Our rifle range is in yards. 500 yards. (25m lol)

We might navigate, measure bore diameters, and shoot artillery in Communist.

But we shoot people in American.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

I commend your silliness, sir.

I actually ordered some of these targets, and the pistol equivalent a few days ago for funsies.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score

Yeah yeah. It was fun nonetheless. Sorry, my home range only goes to 100 yards (see there?) anyway. The 25m AQT has the targets from the Army pop-up range qualification scaled to what they'd look like on paper at 25m. Would be similar to having the Marine bulls scaled on paper.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I commend your silliness, sir.

I actually ordered some of these targets, and the pistol equivalent a few days ago for funsies.
    Did not know there was a pistol one.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    25-Meter Alt-C isn't difficult if you have a firm grasp of the basics. Alt-C is the choice for unit commanders with a legitimate need to qualify units without access to full-size ranges quickly, or for those units whose troops suck at shooting.

Oh, and there are two kinds of nations in the world -- those that use Metric and those who have walked on the moon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    25-Meter Alt-C isn't difficult if you have a firm grasp of the basics. Alt-C is the choice for unit commanders with a legitimate need to qualify units without access to full-size ranges quickly, or for those units whose troops suck at shooting.

Oh, and there are two kinds of nations in the world -- those that use Metric and those who have walked on the moon.
    Well considering that I don't have a 300m pop-up range it'll have to do!

And yeah, that "firm grasp of the basics" is nice to return to every now and then. A periodic review of the fundamentals is a good practice in things like martial arts, shooting, etc. It was interesting to see how my 52yo eyes would do with irons, and I wasn't too disappointed.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Well that is funny because your rifle sights are in meters, so do you set your sights at 457.2 meters to shoot your 500 yard targets?
    Last edited by mack7.62; 03-04-18 at 10:28.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast