Thread: 45 Super?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am running a 20lb flat wire recoil spring, 34lb mainspring, and Harrison flat bottom firing pin stop. Empties are landing 8-12 feet away at approximately the 4 o'clock position (same as 230gr in factory configuration). My estimation of where empties land is where I collect them so that is after a bounce or roll on concrete on an open outdoor range. Another thing to check is your barrel lug engagement if you are going to really run it hot. My 45 super load is an Extreme Bullets 230gr FN coated bullet over 10.4gr of Alliant Power Pistol with CCI large pistol primers and Starline 45 Super brass. I also run a load using pulled 230gr HST's 10.2gr of Alliant Power Pistol with CCI large pistol primers and Starline 45 Super brass. Chrono is averaging around 1230fps. I had run my powder load up to 10.8gr, but started seeing the primers getting flat and a more pronounce tear drop shaped firing pin impact than I like to see. The video below if from a local indoor range.

https://youtu.be/80U0VM2it6A

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Deleted
    Last edited by T2C; 04-20-18 at 05:45.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepman1320 View Post
    I am running a 20lb flat wire recoil spring, 34lb mainspring, and Harrison flat bottom firing pin stop. Empties are landing 8-12 feet away at approximately the 4 o'clock position (same as 230gr in factory configuration). My estimation of where empties land is where I collect them so that is after a bounce or roll on concrete on an open outdoor range. Another thing to check is your barrel lug engagement if you are going to really run it hot. My 45 super load is an Extreme Bullets 230gr FN coated bullet over 10.4gr of Alliant Power Pistol with CCI large pistol primers and Starline 45 Super brass. I also run a load using pulled 230gr HST's 10.2gr of Alliant Power Pistol with CCI large pistol primers and Starline 45 Super brass. Chrono is averaging around 1230fps. I had run my powder load up to 10.8gr, but started seeing the primers getting flat and a more pronounce tear drop shaped firing pin impact than I like to see. The video below if from a local indoor range.

https://youtu.be/80U0VM2it6A
    Interesting. Are you shooting the .45 super out of a plain Jane 1911 with just a change of springs? Recoil doesn’t look too bad and not very much muzzle flash from the Power Pistol. I am getting enormous muzzle flash from a Power Pistol load out of Noslers reloading manual. 8.0gr for a 185gr JHP. Only about 890 FPS though. Just wondering if PP needs to be loaded at a higher weight to reduce the muzzle flash. Is there a special barrel needed for .45 super? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    Interesting. Are you shooting the .45 super out of a plain Jane 1911 with just a change of springs? Recoil doesn’t look too bad and not very much muzzle flash from the Power Pistol. I am getting enormous muzzle flash from a Power Pistol load out of Noslers reloading manual. 8.0gr for a 185gr JHP. Only about 890 FPS though. Just wondering if PP needs to be loaded at a higher weight to reduce the muzzle flash. Is there a special barrel needed for .45 super? Thanks.
    The only change other than springs is a Flat Bottom Firing Pin Stop. It isn't too flashy until you get into true low light shooting, but at that point the 800 lumen TLR-1HL tends to wash that out. Other than that it is a plain jane Sig 1911. I checked to make sure I had good barrel lug engagement prior to running things hot. The advantage to running .45 super is that you can easily mimic a 10mm factory load without having to buy a 10mm gun for those that already own a 1911 in .45 acp. This with minimal changes to the gun which DO NOT change the guns ability to run standard .45 acp loadings. I do not change anything in my gun to run .45 acp ball at the range or my issued 230gr HST +P and it runs without any problems. It actually makes for a very soft shooting pistol with .45 acp loads. My hand loads exceed those of factory 10mm ammunition...