Thread: Have you seen these FMC BUIS before?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Have you seen these FMC BUIS before?

I debated "Optics and Mounts" but this is neither.

So I bought these BUIS a few years ago. I bought them from the same company that developed and sold the TacOps-1 and TacOps CQB charging handles which I did a review on some months back. I don't even know what FMC stands for. It is my understanding they were made specifically for this company (Mech Armor), why they didn't have a different name, who knows. The sad part of this story, is these are really solid back up irons. They probably aren't perfect, but I really haven't found any fault with them - in function or design. They are spring loaded, and pop up quickly, but do not lock into place. A small knock will have them return back upright position, but if you press it all the way down it locks in place. Release button is nicely machined for a positive grip on your finger tip, with or without glove. I've moved them from one AR to another. I did clean them up and hit them with my Aluminum Black, so they look pretty again, but they did have some gouges, and nicks and worn anodizing. (Thanks Birchwood-Casey!!) Sitting here writing this, I do find it rather interesting that I've sold off KAC folding sights, a fair share of Troy's (My go to), Magpuls etc. But I've held onto these. Maybe because they aren't made anymore, but then again, I did sell my stripped KAC lower, which also is no longer sold.

I would say that the function and finish are in line with their charging handle, which is to say, really high quality. The only negative is that on some scopes, the rear sight touched, but had enough leeway (from the spring I guess) to push down another millimeter, which was all it took. I never observed any of the objective or bells with any damage.

Now for some pics

Vertical position.

Aggressive pattern on the spring loaded release button to allow the sights to spring up in position.

The scallops on the windage knob is actually pretty nice for getting a good grip with cold/wet fingers as I discovered during one of our cold spells winter before last.

Thanks for any insight or comments!

RTT

The "Rest of the Story". Not to be accused of making super-freaking long posts again, I left you with a trimmed down version up top. Stop now if you have reached your maximum word limit. Down here is more about the company and some other stuff they did. Mech Armor had contracted a machine shop in Florida I believe who did the machining and CNC work. Unfortunately, that machine shop/manufacturer was bought out and the contract was not renewed by the new corporation, not sure but it seems they weren't interested in the "little guy". So the BUIS fell by the wayside after having quality issues with another machine shop they were going to try and use. Those BUIS never saw light of day, and the project was eventually dropped. Prior to all of this Mech Armor also made armored turrets for M1114 Humvee's. The Praetorian-1 and a smaller version Praetorian-2, which were designed and deployed from 2006-2010. (To the best of my knowledge) Sometime after that, the same guy who designed the turret, designed the Tac-Ops charging handle. Not sure of the exact time frame for the BUIS, but my best guess is around 2013-2015
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 05-16-18 at 21:41.

Feedback Score
    They look like Aero Precision sights.\

41c+uhHJ9oL.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deejai; 05-18-18 at 15:34.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by deejai View Post

41c+uhHJ9oL.jpg
    Aye. Nearly identical. Probably outsourced to the same manufacturing plant.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by deejai View Post

41c+uhHJ9oL.jpg
    Bingo!! Thanks deej.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    Aye. Nearly identical. Probably outsourced to the same manufacturing plant.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    I really can't believe it was that easy and I also believe that it's the same manufacturer. The only delta I can see between the Aero set and mine is the knurled sight release button - which I would consider an improvement.

I know when I exercised my Google-Fu I came up less than empty handed. It's almost like whoever manufactured it, just made up the name/acronym. I've taken to calling them Fully Mission Capable. lol
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I've taken to calling them Fully Mission Capable. lol
    I thought 'Fox Moto Cross'
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee