Thread: Holosun 503g

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I have Holosuns, Sigs, and PAs on several fun guns that get run a lot and never had a real problem. The worst issue I have seen is the auto on function needing a bit of a shake to come on. Some get tossed around and beat up more than my too many serious guns with Aimpoints and Trijicons.

The OEM mounts are definitely much lower quality and all mine get tossed and switched out for quality Micro compatible mounts.

They have proven themselves to be much better than your average knockoff junk, but at their price point they just can't have the same general build quality and especially QC of hard use brands.

But I would likely choose one over irons if it came down to it...

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Agree, but here’s this: run 45* offset irons like the Dueck Defense, or Mag Pul Pros, and you’re gtg. This way if you pull up and your optic is dead, quick roll to the inside and you’re shooting your irons. All good. ��

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    Agree, but here’s this: run 45* offset irons like the Dueck Defense, or Mag Pul Pros, and you’re gtg. This way if you pull up and your optic is dead, quick roll to the inside and you’re shooting your irons. All good. ��
    I meant in the moment with no other options available. If you can afford offset BUIS buy an Aimpoint instead!

I do use offset BUIS with LPVO.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Another happy Holosun customer.

re: quality

In AR-terms, they feel like an M&P15 or Ruger AR-556. Not top of the line like BCM, LMT, Noveske, etc (which would be your Aimpoint, EOTech, Trijicon, etc), but they're not truly budget Delton or Olympic ARs (which would be your Sightmark, Vortex Sparc, etc).

If I was going overseas again, I'd much rather have the Trijicon ACOG I was issued, but now that I'm a pogue reservist who goes to the range a few times a year? The mid-tier grade will do just nicely.

re: features

What I really appreciate about the Holosun 5xx series is that they have a 65 MOA circle (great for close quarters work) and "shake-awake" functionality (I like that I don't have to fumble with a button). Again, for my application (suburban dad, home defense), they're sufficient. For LEOs and active duty military in harm's way, I can't speak to that level of durability.

P.S. For those confused by all the different model numbers, here is a blurb from the Holosun website: "HS = Holosun; 1st digit = 4 for 2 moa dot only reticle, 5 for 2 moa dot with a 65 moa circle reticle; 2nd digit = 0 for standard accessories, 1 for upgraded accessories (kill-flash filter, Quick release mount and flip lens covers), 3rd digit = 0, 1 or 2 for an infinity 30 mm tube red dot, 3 for a micro red dot Final letter = C for solar, all others for battery powered only."
    https://holosun.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=22
    Last edited by butlers; 06-02-18 at 23:08.
    "The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards."
    William Francis Butler