Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget LVPO options?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Man, this thread has picked up some steam in the last couple days. Sorry to those that asked questions, I spend a bunch of time on Snipers Hide, and I haven’t checked this thread lately. Used to be, the optics section here didn’t get a ton of action. I think that’s changing for the better.

On the Platinum line of scopes: the reticle is super daylight bright. They hit several really good points with that scope. The illumination is defiantly one of them.
    On the question of the Kahles vs the NF NX8.....man....that’s a tough call. I’m going to cop out and say I don’t know. The Kahles is such a strong scope. The reason I personally went with the NF is that it’s 1-8, and I like a straight mil reticle in the FFP. That’s just ME, and my opinion. I had the Razor 1-6, and I was a tick away from buying the Kahles then. I simply found the Razor sooner, at a better price. Now a days, I’m all FFP, and 1-8. Truly, no bad choice there.

The last question was the NX8 vs the ATACR 1-8. That one is easy. HOLY SMOKE the ATACR 1-8 is insanely nice. Like in a different world nice. Here’s why: huge field of view. Phenomenal glass, let’s in a huge amount of light. The coatings make it one of the brightest scopes I’ve been behind for its size. Lastly, the reticle. I was shooting yesterday at 650yds in a 17mph cross wind. With a Speer 75 gr that’s a 6 Mil elevation hold and a 4mil wind hold. I was pounding steel and NEVER touched a dial. Held in the reticle and just banged away. 4-5 in a row. With most any 1-6 or 1-8, you’re holding in no mans land. Or, you can dial the 6 mils and hold wind, but I didn’t even loosen a cap. That’s awesome.
    I’m no kid, and my eyes are decent, not great. This 1-8 allows me to shot sub MOA at 100yd with bonded ammo. Usually I need more scope to shoot that tight. I just can’t see well enough. Not with the ATACR. My Lancer DMR 18”, with a White Oak barrel shot a .91moa, 5 shot using this scope.
    If you have extra $1k, it’s worth it. Absolutely!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    An “out to 200 yds”, SBR seems an ideal mix with the PX4i. Relatively precise hits easily do-able.
    The two pound, 34mm 1-8x on an SBR not so much.
    Yeah, makes sense. I'm kind of leaning towards the PX4i. I think I like the ACSS reticle in the PA better than the 3PTR in the Steiner, but the Steiner's better glass quality seems like it'd trump the "better" reticle and extra 2x of the PA.

Feedback Score
    48 (100%)
    I liked the Steiner so much I bought a second one. Super clear, relatively lightweight and a simple reticle.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    Man, this thread has picked up some steam in the last couple days. Sorry to those that asked questions, I spend a bunch of time on Snipers Hide, and I haven’t checked this thread lately. Used to be, the optics section here didn’t get a ton of action. I think that’s changing for the better.

On the Platinum line of scopes: the reticle is super daylight bright. They hit several really good points with that scope. The illumination is defiantly one of them.
    On the question of the Kahles vs the NF NX8.....man....that’s a tough call. I’m going to cop out and say I don’t know. The Kahles is such a strong scope. The reason I personally went with the NF is that it’s 1-8, and I like a straight mil reticle in the FFP. That’s just ME, and my opinion. I had the Razor 1-6, and I was a tick away from buying the Kahles then. I simply found the Razor sooner, at a better price. Now a days, I’m all FFP, and 1-8. Truly, no bad choice there.

The last question was the NX8 vs the ATACR 1-8. That one is easy. HOLY SMOKE the ATACR 1-8 is insanely nice. Like in a different world nice. Here’s why: huge field of view. Phenomenal glass, let’s in a huge amount of light. The coatings make it one of the brightest scopes I’ve been behind for its size. Lastly, the reticle. I was shooting yesterday at 650yds in a 17mph cross wind. With a Speer 75 gr that’s a 6 Mil elevation hold and a 4mil wind hold. I was pounding steel and NEVER touched a dial. Held in the reticle and just banged away. 4-5 in a row. With most any 1-6 or 1-8, you’re holding in no mans land. Or, you can dial the 6 mils and hold wind, but I didn’t even loosen a cap. That’s awesome.
    I’m no kid, and my eyes are decent, not great. This 1-8 allows me to shot sub MOA at 100yd with bonded ammo. Usually I need more scope to shoot that tight. I just can’t see well enough. Not with the ATACR. My Lancer DMR 18”, with a White Oak barrel shot a .91moa, 5 shot using this scope.
    If you have extra $1k, it’s worth it. Absolutely!
    No need to be sorry, thanks for getting back us. I am leaning toward an FFP myself, so that is nudge toward the NXS over the Kahles for me. Which reticle do you have on the PA Platinum? Do you prefer the NXS over the PA?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Thanks Vegas, good stuff!

Just got my NX8 and first impressions (have not mounted or shot either one, so take with a grain of salt) are that the K16i has better FOV and eye box than NX8, but I personally like the reticle of the NX8 much better due to it being bolder and not needing illumination to function the way that I want it to. This is purely subjective and personal for me based on what *I* look for in a reticle, plenty of guys love the SM1 reticle, but as of right now, I’m leaning toward catch and release on the K16i and keeping the NX8. Still want to shoot them before making a final decision.

Anyone interested in a K16i?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    For anyone that wants a really good read from a post on Snipers Hide by a Nightforce rep about the design intent and limitations behind the NX8 and ATACR as compared to other scopes on the market, see below. He was addressing the comparisons that other people were making between the NF options and other options on the market like the Kahles and Razor. It has several good points, but for me, the gold was where he gave some insight behind the performance of different optic designs...which hopefully help with making a decision when evaluating different optics. Enjoy.

Guys....I haven't been on here posting in a loooong time due to some issues that arose a few years ago. I work for Nightforce on the MIL-GOV-LE side of the house. I most likely won't post much beyond this, so I apologize if you ask questions and I don't follow up in a timely manner or at all.

I just thought it would be worthwhile to mention the largest differentiating factor for true 1x scopes; that is the focal plane that the reticle is located in. FFP and SFP are going to differ vastly in performance in the FOV arena. Its based on pure physics and size limitations. Until glass technology matures, right now a SFP 1x will always have more FOV.

SFP is typically always going to have more FOV due to the distance the reticle is located from the objective. It is further away. When you have a short scope, typically you have to account for more FOV by increasing the diameter of the fixed lens in the erector system. Often, the body tube is considered a limiting factor as that affects overall size and weight of a carbine type optic for a personal/primary weapon which is not meant to be huge (glass types being the same). The ATACR has a 34mm tube for a reason; design dictated a specific size of lens to accomplish a certain amount of FOV in the system at the given length for the type/spec of ED Glass used.

Fenix Mike nailed it above as the NX8 was developed with a purpose in mind and that was compact size for covert application on compact weapon systems with limited rail space. It was developed to meet certain requirements that dictated size and weight; size and weight being a higher priority than eyebox. The ATACR was also designed and developed around certain design parameters to meet a requirement; size and weight were one consideration. Eyebox (not eye relief) being up higher on the priority list. They both could be improved by making them larger/longer. Optical design is all about trade-offs and striking a balance to accomplish your end goal. Take a look at some of the European SFP 1x scopes. There is a reason they have 126'+ FOV at 1x. Look at their length.

I met Fenix Mike about 2 years ago while we were demoing to some Fed agencies in of all places....Phoenix. The gun guys who get it typically stand out at those demos as they can shoot at a higher level and understand application a bit more than others, and typically participate on forums like these. They stay much more tuned in. The 1-8's have been in development for some time. He certainly got a peek at them early on in their infancy.

The NX8 is FFP with a 30mm tube and only 8.6" long at 17 ounces. It performs very well.....FOR ITS SIZE. But it WILL NOT measure up to the ATACR in any way in performance, nor the Vortex......it was not designed to. The FFP ATACR with a 34mm tube is 10" and 21 ounces. The 34mm tube and slightly longer length allow for a larger diameter fixed erector lens. The eyepiece on the ATACR is much larger, but FOV is less than the NX8; yet the perceived performance is that the ATACR has a larger FOV as the edge to edge clarity and eyebox combine to form a fantastic image with a ton of forgiveness which makes it very fast to acquire the target. Designed to be more in line with the performance of the Vortex Razor minus the FOV.

The Vortex Razor is going to excel in the FOV arena as it has 115' on 1x; substantially more than the two NF 1-8's. The Razor eyebox is massive like the ATACR and it is fast to acquire the target. A huge recipe for 1x success is a large forgiving eyebox with as much FOV as you can squeeze out of it. Becuase lets face it....its al about speed and violence of action when you are on 1x, right?
    The ATACR and Razor glass can be considered comparable.....I typically won't argue glass quality as that is a very subjective topic. What and how I see is not what/how everyone else sees. Both have excellent ED glass.

In my opinion, when close proximity CQB type of engagements trump the distance capability of an optic such as that of an assaulter/entry guy or 3 Gun Competitor, the SFP 1-6 very well may excel in certain scenarios (depending on its performance). If the emphasis is more on a DMR/SDM capability with CQB being the lower priority the FFP 1-8 makes good sense assuming it performs as needed. There is a reason that the Vortex Razor 1-6 receives such praise from the T1 units whom are using it. It does not compromise their ability to engage close targets with no sacrifice in speed over their prior EOTechs and it gives them enhanced PID capability on 6x for those distant engagements. Enhanced capability, right? 3 Gunners have been doing that for years.

Being a prior 3 Gun Competitor, I can tell you that I have always been very fond of the Vortex Razor 1-6 and the Swaro Z6i. 6x is the max that I prefer to contend with for a SFP 1x scope. If I were to go over 6x, I prefer FFP. The limiting factor has always been the reticle and daylight visibility of the dot that is formed for close work in FFP 1x scopes.

I have had the privilege over the past 30 months to put 10's of thousands of rounds through our new scopes and can form a very solid opinion of how they perform for a given application, but my opinion is just that. Fenix Mike addressed the application part pretty well. He has a criteria just like I do. They may not be the same, but we all have our considerations of what we want to accomplish with our tools. None of them are wrong.....just different

Both of the NF 1-8's share the same exact same FFP reticle technology and are extremely daylight visible in the brightest of daylight conditions. The ATACR has the inclusion of the drop down dot grid which is not inclusive of the NX8.

That brings up another point.....dot size or illuminated feature size. Remember that dot size is either fixed in relation to the target or in proportion. When in proportion (FFP), dot size is consistent through he mag range, When fixed, it only subtends properly on one setting. For example a 6x scope may have a dot size of 1moa on 6x. On 1x, it now subtends 6moa when the target is much smaller. On a FFP scope, like the NX8 and ATACR, the dot size is 2mils or 6.88moa. Yes....larger, but also consistent through the mag range and the segmented circle feature, now forms the dot on 1x.

I know there will probably be questions of me as to why we did "X" or "Y". I'd prefer not answer those questions on here as there were internal decisions that dictated why we did what we did. All had good reasons to support the decisions. These are brand new products for us. There may be changes to these models in the future; but please don't construe that as soon. It would be at least a year before you saw any additional skus.

I'd like to be as helpful as possible on here, but there are some things better left undiscussed on a public forum.

Hope you guys find the above info to be insightful and most of all thank you for your support of our products.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    No need to be sorry, thanks for getting back us. I am leaning toward an FFP myself, so that is nudge toward the NXS over the Kahles for me. Which reticle do you have on the PA Platinum? Do you prefer the NXS over the PA?
    The reticle I’m running won’t be one folks can buy.....yet. I can’t say a ton, out of respect for PA, and my friend Demetri. I will say, if you like the ACSS, then give it some time. They have a new reticle that will knock your socks off. That is... IF you are a fan of BDC reticles, and like the ACSS. If you like a straight mil reticle, then it’s a toss up. I can’t say enough good about the PA Platinum line. It has locking turrets, big, forgiving eye box, excellent glass, very daylight bright reticle, etc. it’s a great scope. At $1300, I like it. If I could only have one scope..... and I literally mean ONE.... for everything I shoot, if that scope was the ATACR 1-8, I could be plenty happy. It’s THAT good.

I feel compelled to add, because of what I do, and the fact that I’m a full time trainer/Instructor, I get to look and play with some things earlier than others. I WILL NOT take a product and talk it up or praise it if I don’t believe in it. Every product I test, be it a rifle, pistol, scope, bi-pod, you name it, I look at through the lens of: “would I let my young Officers or my friends carry this and rely on it with their lives?” Although I test many products, if I don’t like them, I quietly box them up and send them back. If I say a product is GTG, that means I would trust my personal friends using it.
    Right now, my PERSONAL work rifles are wearing a NX8, a PA Platinum 1-8, and an ATACR 1-8. I sold a Razor 1-6 only to pay for my NF habit. :-) I get to test them, but if I buy them, I pay.... just like y’all do. Hahaha.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Awesome, thank you both for your feedback. It was one thing buying a Vortex Viper, but this is a completely different league on the pocketbook so I appreciate all the insight.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I really like the Leupold VX3i 1.5-5's. They're light and extremely clear. Not painfully expensive.

I just put a Vortex SE 1-8 on a new carbine, and it has not disappointed either. The glass is not as clear as the Leupys, but the unit feels well made, and I like the reticle. Both companies have remarkable warranties on their products.

Leupy 1 piece pic mounts won't break the bank, and are very secure.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Any update on the Viper PST 1-6 gen 2?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast