Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving Away From The Slim 9mm Fad

Feedback Score

Moving Away From The Slim 9mm Fad

I don’t know man. The whole reason for carrying concealed in the first place is that “you never know”. To go along with that sentiment: “ Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.”

Well, suppose I’m in a situation where 2-3 armed robbers are working as a team? Suppose I have no choice but to engage an active shooter who’s loaded for war? “You never know”. Is my G43 with 8 rounds sufficient for that? Maybe, but I wouldn’t bet my life on it. Im starting to think the “Let’s get as small and thin as possible” fad in carry pistols isn’t the right mindset. Would my G43 be enough to stop 1 attacker? Likely, yes. But am I also failing to prepare and violating both “you never know” and “Better to have it and not need it . . . “? Likely, yes. I will never have advance notice that I’m about to be in a gunfight for my life. I won’t know if it’s one attacker or four. I won’t know how many rounds of HST it’s going to take to end a threat. I won’t know if I will successfully and quickly perform a reload under intense amounts of adrenaline.

All this to say: Is it ever a good idea to carry a tiny low capacity pistol? Will it be sufficient? What is their proper role in a gun collection? Should I carry my G19 by default and only dust off the G43 for those deep-concealment-is-necessary type of outings?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't know... I'm reluctant to engage 2-3 armed robbers with any pistol.... unless I'm the target, have not choice, and I sense that their just booger brained, gang bangers with no apparent firearms skills.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I think there's probably a thread or two about this, but...
    I think you should carry what you think you need. I'm in the same boat, I dont know that 8 rounds are enough, so I carry my 19, 90% of the time. I also have a spare mag, light, knife.

G26 is for range days, J frame for back up duty at work and a Smith Bodyguard for those days when I can't carry anything else. That's me. I've been labeled Tackleberry by some. So be it.

Your 43 that you're proficient with is far more important than any big gun you leave at home or in the car.

Feedback Score
    Mozart, if magazine capacity is your only concern you may want to consider the SIG Sauer P365. While I have not shot one I have handled it and it is smaller than my S&W Shield yet the magazine holds 10 rounds. If you carry a full mag plus one in the chamber you've got 11 rounds. Their extended capacity mag holds 12 giving one 13 rounds if you carry your mags fully loaded.

As with many new firearms it had initial problems. Failure to go back into battery and the rear sight coming loose. Those seem to have been adequately addressed.

There's plenty of info on YouTube . . . enjoy.
    Last edited by Mean Bone; 06-12-18 at 16:57.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Theres definitely some reading on here about this. Definitely worth a look, and definitely worth revisiting.

I've gone back and forth on the subject. Personally, I can find a practical use for a single stack 9 (either a G43 or a Shield) in MY stable.
    I wish I hadn't sold my Shield. It filled the gap between my familiar and capable G19 and the I-Can't-Carry-Anything-Else-In-This-Attire/Environment/Activity J-frame.

Just carry the most gun you can, based on ability, concealability, anticipated activity, social norms at your destination, and likelihood/type of assault. If you can rock the G19 100% of the time, that's great; do so. For me, I like options; I have enough variety in my interests, activities, social obligations, and choices of attire that the double stack 9 isn't an end all-be-all, and would likely leave me gun-less (I didn't say unarmed or unprepared).

Threat assessment comes into play as well. While a 3 man robbery crew, an active shooter, or an ISIS fire team can strike almost anywhere, they are more likely to strike in certain places. So in those venues, if I can carry big, I will. If I can't, I carry small, but at least I have options. I also take a hard look at what I expect to do against certain threats in certain situations. Holding a choke point or evacuating are also potential options.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    Threat assessment is hard.

You can make assumptions based on crime data and such, but really it comes down to how unlucky you are if you find yourself under deadly threat. In my area, I’ve read about an armed robbery at a nicer areas’ gas station, not too terribly late into the night. I’ve purchased fuel there many a time. Shit happens. Threat assessment going Xmas shopping in broad daylight at a mall? Low threat right? Seeing a movie at a theatre in a nicer area? Low. And yet we’ve seen active shooters in places like those.

You’re dealing with very low probability, I know. But, it happened to some. And if God forbid it ever happened to me and I failed to protect my family and bystanders because I felt more comfy with a slim pistol most days . . .

Someone on YouTube once said the Glock 43 is for lazy people. LoL

Feedback Score
    I was young once, and carried a 1911. It concealed great, and was a .45acp. In Israel was one of the few to carry one. I then was involved in an incident where 8 rounds wasn't enough, and I had no time or space for a reload.

This had a profound impact on my thinking.

I only own one load round pistol today, a P7. But truth is it almost never gets carried as a defense pistol.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Carry a G19 and a G17 mag as a reload.

If you can't do it with that, it wasn't your day anyway.

Good Luck.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A little gun is better than no gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bone View Post
    Mozart, if magazine capacity is your only concern you may want to consider the SIG Sauer P365. While I have not shot one I have handled it and it is smaller than my S&W Shield yet the magazine holds 10 rounds. If you carry a full mag plus one in the chamber you've got 11 rounds. Their extended capacity mag holds 12 giving one 13 rounds if you carry your mags fully loaded.

As with many new firearms it had initial problems. Failure to go back into battery and the rear sight coming loose. Those seem to have been adequately addressed.

There's plenty of info on YouTube . . . enjoy.
    There's still the problem of peening, firing pin dragging which causes broken firing pins and dead triggers and on top of that Sig is already on 365 2.0

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 06-12-18 at 20:25.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast