Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions on 180gr 40 S&W OAL and over-pressure dangers...

Feedback Score
    It's been years since I was into .40 S&W, but 180 Jacketed is pretty much a standard load. I did quite a few 200 grain loads for IPSC as well - less perceived recoil at the same IPSC power factor - but no doubt the 200 grain loads were high pressure. I want back to the 180s because of swelling at the web.

It was common wisdom (then) that cast bullets were a no-no in the 40 S&W, especially with Glocks. Barrel leading (IIRC) and higher (dangerous) pressures resulted with Glock/.40 S&W barrels.

And there is no doubt that cast bullets (and I assume plated/swaged lead) loads take less powder ( roughly half a grain or so) to get the same velocity as a similar jacketed load.

I suggest you use a chronograph and work up to about 160 power factor (low end of IPSC Major) - or less. This should be well under the listed book maximum velocity for a given powder. (If not, find another powder.) For a 180 grain bullet this would be a velocity of ~890 fps: [890x180/1000 = 160.2]

Feedback Score
    I find .40 to be much more pleasant when loaded to the lower end of the range with a medium or faster powder. I don't need major PF for anything I shoot, so I have no worries in that regard. Power Pistol isn't a bad choice for major, but as others have said, you need to work up, use a chronograph, and carefully monitor for signs of over-pressure. Even at lower to medium loads, PP is very flashy and loud, and will be difficult to judge by feel alone.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice guys, I will definitely do just that.

Feedback Score
    I won't dog pile on you, except to say that the other guys here are right. You're lucky you didn't blow up your gun.

For more info, go here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=73

My favorite recipe, which has been good for 1,000s rounds of soft-shooting, accurate, and cheap shooting:

155gr lead SWC
    4.5gr. Unique
    1.135 OAL (overall length)

I finally settled on 4.5gr because 4.0gr was too light... the gun barely cycled.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Bumping this oldie because I'm borrowing some dies to start some 40 cal reloading. Glad I found this thread because there's a lot of good info above.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Holy cow... If we're resurrecting this 12 year old thread (!), then I've switched from dirty, inefficient, and inconsistent Unique to very clean, consistent, and efficient Clays.

Also, I'm getting even less recoil and more consistent velocity with 180/185gr cast bullets, over just 3.0gr of Clays, and that load runs 100% in stock Glocks, even a long-slide G24.

Feedback Score
    I've been using coated 180 gr bullets and HP38 or 700x.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have access to a bunch of Tite Group. Not sure of the availability of any pistol powders right now, but based on this thread, I'm probably going to source some real jacketed 180 gr bullets. I'd like to be around 900 fps from a G22.

My goal isn't super pleasant ammo, but rather a warm practice load that's safely close to a hotter carry round.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I've been using coated 180 gr bullets and HP38 or 700x.
    I've started using HP38 for .380ACP (because there's no data on Clays in .380ACP), and it's working reallllly well.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I have access to a bunch of Tite Group. Not sure of the availability of any pistol powders right now, but based on this thread, I'm probably going to source some real jacketed 180 gr bullets. I'd like to be around 900 fps from a G22.

My goal isn't super pleasant ammo, but rather a warm practice load that's safely close to a hotter carry round.

3.0gr of Clays under a 180/185gr cast SWC is yielding 760fps from my G22. My SD is just 15fps (for 10rnds), and it runs 100%.

I can't see any reason to go hotter...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Ok. I'm willing to go down to 825-850.

I nearly crapped when I looked at Montana Gold and they had NO 40 cal bullets in stock, but good old RMR has me covered.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast