Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: AAR: Vickers Tactical 1911 Operator's Course 6/6-6/7 2009

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I've thought about this recently, and my thinking lead to me spending about 2 hours with online ballistic calculators. The result was somewhat surprising as I concluded that the optimal zero for 5 inch pistol shooting 230 gr ball would be somewhere around 50 yards. That should give a relatively flat path from 0 to 50, and not too bad of a holdover for 100. Did Larry comment on preferred zero for 1911? I know what he prefers for a carbine, but not pistol.

Great AAR.
    1. Thanks for the compliment.

2. I've actually never heard LAV talk about zeros for handguns. I think most are zeroed for 25 yards. Realistically the odds of taking a 110 yard shot with a pistol under gunfight conditions are pretty slim. I'd think the 25 yard zero would be fine.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 06-12-09 at 20:09.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1198 View Post
    Excellent AAR! This just makes the anticipation of attending a Vicker's course that much harder.
    Vickers training courses really are a superb investment of your training dollar. His instruction has been invaluable in improving my shooting. Some may consider that sucking up, but it's the God's-honest truth. There were a lot of pieces of the puzzle that I didn't have down until I took his classes.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Nicely written AAR John_Wayne. I have been shooting the 1911 for a long time and learn more about it every day.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score

VA Course

[Wow, the magic of computers. Was tying a response to JW's, my internet connection broke temporarily, and in trying to restore it I manged to post this in another thread. Like my shooting - - - off target.]

I so like the 1911. But find myself carrying an M&P compact mostly. I can leave it in the truck (locked in a case) when I go in places I can't carry. While I'd be really upset if someone broke in and stole it, I'd be REALLY upset if someone stole a nice 1911 costing thousands more. And the M&P always goes bang.

As for adjustments, my Wilson, albeit a 4" model, ran fine on day one. And all that was adjusted Sun AM was the bevel on the back of the trigger. On day two, I had three FTFs, right after inserting fresh mags with the slide locked back. I was pretty sure the mag was locked in each time, but . . .

I asked Larry if the failures were anything that had a known cause, and he said, What'd I tell you about 4-inch guns?" So I said, "Yeah, but it was running fine yesterday, before we detail stripped it. Could it be something to do with that?"

To which he replied, with a shake of his head, "Four inch guns . . ."

In the gun's defense, it ran fine after that, and actually hasn't missed a beat since a short break in period when new. Maybe I was using a mag that had been dropped and had some dirt in it. Or maybe a gum wrapper . . .

Nonetheless, and as an example of rationalizing at its best the use of 1911s, I'll say: Since ammo is so expensive, I'll have to cut back, and the 1911 can be my barbeque gun (I saw that term in a gun mag, and had to get someone to explain it - - - I'm slow). Maybe I'll even get a new high end custom to fit that niche even better.

Meanwhile, I'll carry the M&P.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishr View Post

Nonetheless, and as an example of rationalizing at its best the use of 1911s, I'll say: Since ammo is so expensive, I'll have to cut back, and the 1911 can be my barbeque gun (I saw that term in a gun mag, and had to get someone to explain it - - - I'm slow). Maybe I'll even get a new high end custom to fit that niche even better.
    The way you shot that Wilson, I'd just use the money for ammo and shoot the hell out of it.
    "it is progressive war--limited, pegged to specific political goals, sparing of civilian life, and reliant on daring offensive action to resolve dangerous situations before they develop into overwhelmingly violent ones--that offers the best hope for prosecuting modern war, particularly the war against terrorism" Caleb Carr in The Lessons of Terror

Feedback Score
    What was Larry's take on extended magwells? Im sure he has an opinion one way or the other.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacMedic4450 View Post
    What was Larry's take on extended magwells? Im sure he has an opinion one way or the other.
    He's in favor.....I was using my MC Operator at the special M4 Mod/Staff class he did for us and I did not have an extended mag well on it at the time, and that was the only criticism I remember him making of my reloads. I ordered a Nighthawk mainspring housing with a removeable mag well and installed it, and it did make a big difference, as well as being fairly low profile.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not that LAV's opinion needs any re-enforcement from me, but in the time I've spent with the 1911 I've found that magwells do make reloads slicker and more positive as well. Just make sure you use the right sized baseplates on your magazines so that the magwell doesn't interfere with proper seating of the magazine.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I find that the mag goes into the gun at the same speed. A magwell just allows an imperfect reload to make it into the gun.

Watch AMU shooter CPL Travis Tomasie shooting a Glock 17 with no magwell.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StXMHw32kjA

Consistency is the key.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I took this class a few years back and I came away a much bigger fan of the 1911 that before I went. One thing that Mr. V consistently says is that the 1911 is the most shootable combat handgun on the market. A lot of wags who would jump on a "nobody" who said this are a little reticent to launch broadsides at Larry (understandably).

Of all the classes I have taken Larry's 1911 class was probably the most informative and entertaining.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast