Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: VT AK Class #2 - AAR & Photos

Feedback Score
    it was an outstanding class with an excellent group of students coupled with grade "A" instruction. i learned quite a bit [especially how much more practice i need].

very challenging for someone like me, who doesn't have a lot of experience or training with a carbine. learning transitions, reloads, malfunction drills, etc. excellent skill-building and it gives a great base from which to build.

wow. a chest rig can really "f" you up if you are a newbie; i've got to rethink my platform.

vickers sling works as advertised. i need to do an across-the-board refit on my other rifles.

der sturmgewehr… what can you say about the granddaddy of them all? thanks to larry for allowing us to shoot it.

thanks to larry + dave for some great training. big shout to paul for putting it all together. definitely looking forward to future classes.

and a special thanks to the milfmaster for being… scary. i'll let you know whenever the carnival comes to town.

ron

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I'm intrigued by this MILF thing...

Feedback Score
    The class was excellent. I learned a lot and had fun too.

I was surprised at how dialed in everyone was. Everyone was safe with their guns even though we were playing with "grown up" safety rules. I was also surprised at how much joking around there was among students and instructors. We were making fun of ourselves and each other, and having a kick ass time.

All of my guns worked and I got some good trigger time with good people. What else could a guy ask for!

Thanks Dave, Larry and especially VA Dinger for putting this together.

Joe Mamma (the guy with the small blue car)
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mamma View Post
    I was surprised at how dialed in everyone was. Everyone was safe with their guns even though we were playing with "grown up" safety rules.
    The first AK class was the same way. Everybody didn't have lots of training time under their belts, but everybody did manage to handle their weapons safely and without a whole lot of head banging about safety.

We didn't need a range nazi because everybody seemed to be adult enough to handle themselves well and not do anything stupid. (No manipulation of loaded weapons with people downrange, etc...) I didn't see a single safety violation, and I was paying pretty careful attention because I hadn't trained with most of the guys in the class before.

I was also surprised at how much joking around there was among students and instructors. We were making fun of ourselves and each other, and having a kick ass time.
    The first AK class was the same way. It seemed to me that most of the class had previously trained with Larry a number of times and he seemed to know most of the class on a first name basis. Everybody seemed to know everybody except for me. The only people I knew were the Manassas fellers I had trained with previously.

The informal nature of the class was surprising, as was the dinner and breakfast that we had together as a class. I've only seen the entire class AND the instructor break bread together on one previous occasion when I took a class with a former longtime SBS chap.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss Hogg View Post
    Well.....that explains it.

I hate inside jokes I'm not on the inside of.

Thankfully only a couple of us know what "let it eat!" means......

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    An action shot of sorts

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That's a pretty good one.....

Feedback Score
    I agree, another great Vickers class. I discovered a lot of things I never knew about the AK and it was a great chance to work on my carbine skills which certainly could use some work. A battle rifle or M4 class would be great maybe we can get one of those set up for later in the year. By the way I agree with everyone else so far the chest rigs are really lousy I don't see how communist "freedom fighters" thought they were such a great idea although I guess they didn't have much choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mamma View Post
    The class was excellent. I learned a lot and had fun too.

I was surprised at how dialed in everyone was. Everyone was safe with their guns even though we were playing with "grown up" safety rules. I was also surprised at how much joking around there was among students and instructors. We were making fun of ourselves and each other, and having a kick ass time.

All of my guns worked and I got some good trigger time with good people. What else could a guy ask for!

Thanks Dave, Larry and especially VA Dinger for putting this together.

Joe Mamma (the guy with the small blue car)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I actually like using chest rigs. My rig (a Bush Boar) worked out quite well. I think the trick is to make sure it is properly fitted (I wear mine rather high) and do some dry-runs in it to make sure everything is where it needs to be.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast