Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ? for the Mac users here

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Left Sig View Post
    No it is not a sensible plan. There is no reason to do any of that. Why make your life so difficult?

Just do a full backup beforehand and do an upgrade install. If anything goes wrong than restore from the backup and then do the archive and install.

I need more hard drive space since the 120GB HDD I've got now is filling up rather quickly so I figured on doing the internal HDD and Snow Leopard upgrades at the same time. I've got an Intel Mac so even a USB2 external enclosure will be bootable, if not exactly speedy...

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jvencius View Post
    Actually, what I might wind up doing is this:

0.5) Run a full bootable clone of my current internal HDD onto the external (it's a 250GB Seagate, FWIW...) that I'm using now

1) Buy an enclosure for a 2.5" SATA drive

2) Put new HDD in that enclosure--hook up to currently-running MBP and format the new drive

3) Physically swap the HDD's--new one into the MBP, old one into the external enclosure

4) Run a clean install of Snow Leopard onto the new internal drive

5) Connect enclosure with old HDD and run Migration assistant to transfer stuff over--apps, iTunes library, iPhoto library, etc...

I've been using my MBP for ~3 years now and am pretty comfortable with it but this'll be the first time I've done something this involved with it--does this sound like a sensible plan?
    Are you wanting a new drive for a reason? (more space, whatever)? If so, then go ahead. But just get the new drive, put it in your MBP, format it and install SL on it, then put the old one in the enclosure and then use MA to put your stuff on the new one.

If you don't really need a new drive or want to go the easy route and have a fresh install, just clone to the external, boot from it to make sure it works, then wipe the internal and install SL and then use MA to put the stuff back.

If it were me and I didn't want a new drive, I would clone to the external (I keep a clone at all times anyway with SuperDuper) to have something to go back to if I needed to, and then I would just upgrade to SL. No point in making it harder than necessary.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bulbvivid View Post
    Are you wanting a new drive for a reason? (more space, whatever)? If so, then go ahead. But just get the new drive, put it in your MBP, format it and install SL on it, then put the old one in the enclosure and then use MA to put your stuff on the new one.

Yep--I need the space but since the Western Digital Scorpio Black drive I was checking out on Newegg doesn't come formatted, I'd have to do that prior to installing, thereby necessitating the enclosure swapping...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yep--I need the space but since the Western Digital Scorpio Black drive I was checking out on Newegg doesn't come formatted, I'd have to do that prior to installing, thereby necessitating the enclosure swapping...
    ??????

Just stick it in the machine and when the installer detects it is not formatted it will ask if you want to format it. No enclosure swapping necessary.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eguns-com View Post
    ??????

Just stick it in the machine and when the installer detects it is not formatted it will ask if you want to format it. No enclosure swapping necessary.
    Ahhh--I did not know that so that should save some time. So I just swap the drives, power the machine up, and then insert the SL DVD?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Ahhh--I did not know that so that should save some time. So I just swap the drives, power the machine up, and then insert the SL DVD?
    That should work.

I've never used the migration assistant so I would probably do it slightly differently. I would use CCC to clone your old drive to the new drive, swap, and then upgrade the new drive. But if you want a fresh install without archiving then do what you said.
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special

Feedback Score
    I need more hard drive space since the 120GB HDD I've got now is filling up rather quickly so I figured on doing the internal HDD and Snow Leopard upgrades at the same time. I've got an Intel Mac so even a USB2 external enclosure will be bootable, if not exactly speedy...
    The only downside to this approach is that you're going to have to disassemble the laptop in order to gain access to the hard drive. It's not an extreme challenge but it can be a pain in the ass to get the case to snap back together correctly during reassembly. But if you're comfortable with that, then I would say go for it. If not, you should be fine with an archive install, just be sure to delete the old system folder afterwards.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by metallic View Post
    If not, you should be fine with an archive install, just be sure to delete the old system folder afterwards.
    Why? I have never had to delete any folder after an archive install? Everything gets moved out of the way so that you still have access to it if you need it to grab stuff.

Feedback Score
    I work with macs every day and usually do a wipe and install for every major OS upgrade.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eguns-com View Post
    Why? I have never had to delete any folder after an archive install? Everything gets moved out of the way so that you still have access to it if you need it to grab stuff.
    Because according to the OP, space is at a premium. As long as you check "Preserve User and Network Settings" during the install, all your personal files will be copied back to the right spot anyway. All that leaves is the old system files which are a waste of space at this point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast