Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiding Your Long Guns?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Pantry dude.

Separate the receivers, and stick the lower in the pantry. Stick the upper in a sock drawer.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i'm surprised i'm the first to say this... but if you're not home, and your rifle is- you need to have it secured. hiding it is not acceptable, in my opinion. you can get cheap gun "lockers" at bi-mart/wal-mart and sporting good stores for like $90, or less on sale. might even be able to find a used one for like $50 on craigslist or something. stick it in the closet, and bolt it to the studs from the inside. this will not stop a truly determined individual, but it'll deter probably 95% of burglarizing crackheads.

you're gonna spent 900-2000 on the rifle... is another bill too much to make sure you keep it?
    Last edited by bkb0000; 12-11-10 at 13:46.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Gun locker or gun safe in the closet bolted down if possible. It will stop most crash and dash robbers. I leave no guns out when not home. My wife has a revolver in a quick access security box that is bolted down.
    "No you do not have to think; it is an act of moral choice. But someone had to think to keep you alive; if you choose to default, you default on existance and you pass the deficit to some moral man, expecting him to sacrifice his good for the sake of letting you survive by your evil." - John Galt

Feedback Score
    Frankly, hiding it won't work because they know all the spots. Majority of break-ins in a place like your's is going to be kids looking for dope or money, or something they can quickly turn into either.

I was burglarized in FL many years ago. My roomate had guns "hidden" in his room. I had mine in my safe in my room. I still have my guns, his got turned into dope or cash. They took the place apart quickly and went though anything that was small enough to hold a bag of pot.

Any safe, even a cheap one, will slow them down enough that they won't bother. They aren't the highly trained cat burglar type. They're just punks looking for dope or cash. Put your gun in a safe, or at least a security cabinet and they'll grab something they can take fast.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Get a cheap Costco or walmart safe and a by-serial-number scheduled renters insurance policy specifically for your firearms/optics/accessories. I have about $20,000 worth of shooting related crap and I pay about $450 a year for my total renters insurance policy which includes the scheduled policies for my valuables.
    Last edited by mkmckinley; 12-12-10 at 17:18.

Feedback Score
    I agree, robbers will find the rifle, it's what they do.

A fake wall would be a nice hiding place. The wall has to look unaltered so the edges of the door have to blend in with the edges of something else.
    Maybe a whole in the floor with a solid top hidden under the carpet. Just pull the corner of the carpet lift the door and there's the rifle.

Just 2 thoughts. Nothing is better than a safe though.

R.
    Last edited by rickp; 12-13-10 at 09:32.
    "In the end, it is not about the hardware, it's about the "software". Amateurs talk about hardware (equipment), professionals talk about software (training and mental readiness)" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. On Combat

Feedback Score
    I find it essential to keep all weapons locked up. In addition to protecting my "investment," I also am protecting myself from potential litigation if one of my weapons gets loose. Although I do not have all weapons in impenetrable gun safes, they are, at least in metal "lockers" designed for gun storage and requiring keys to gain normal access-without a crowbar, cutting torch, etc. God forbid someone stealing a weapon of mine and using it in a crime, but if so, I hope to be able to argue that I did everything I could to be a responsible gun owner.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    i'm surprised i'm the first to say this... but if you're not home, and your rifle is- you need to have it secured. hiding it is not acceptable, in my opinion. you can get cheap gun "lockers" at bi-mart/wal-mart and sporting good stores for like $90, or less on sale. might even be able to find a used one for like $50 on craigslist or something. stick it in the closet, and bolt it to the studs from the inside. this will not stop a truly determined individual, but it'll deter probably 95% of burglarizing crackheads.

you're gonna spent 900-2000 on the rifle... is another bill too much to make sure you keep it?
    Spot on mate!

Feedback Score
    AC ducts, if your apt. has a duct w/ enough width and a straight run from the opening.
    When in doubt,empty the magazine.

Feedback Score
    Another good idea, especially if you don't have the luxury of a high quality safe, record the serial numbers of all arms you own. You'll need em to file a report if they're ever stolen or if you ever hope to recover or prove they're yours. I keep it written down in 2 different places.

The odds of recovering a stolen firearm aren't great, but its zero if all you can report is "S&W J frame revolver, blued, .38 cal." The odds of that are zero.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast