Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Crossfit...dont get it...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I say CF like just because I have more experience with CF
    Understandable to be sure, but I have heard the comment various times and it generally comes from a position they are under the impression CF originated the approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Thanks for the reasonable discussion unlike some others here.
    You know me better then to not be civil with those being civil to me brother.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 04-26-11 at 10:14.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    As many things the fitness industry has done it fair share of circle's and re-birth's(a nice way of saying its been done for F@cking years)

Kettlebells = fad? or re-birth? Sure they are good for some, I have used them from time to time. But to some that have been around for along time they come across as a gimmick.. Whats next? Indian club work outs gyms ... sh@t I'm to late...

Cross fit = NO "not the same as the cross fit of the 1980's" its been revolutionized or more like commercialized possible a re-birth? I could see someone using this type of workout for 2 to 3 weeks 3 or so times a year. But to do it day in and day out it's hard for me to grasp maybe another re-birth is coming so hang in there.

But if it gets people in shape and happy whatever... its all afterbirth to me ...

"So Bro what do you do" .. answer = I just workout

Feedback Score
    [But if it gets people in shape and happy whatever... its all afterbirth to me ...

"So Bro what do you do" .. answer = I just workout]
    Well said!
    Last edited by BLINDFIRE; 05-01-11 at 18:13.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Interesting talk about fitness and Crossfit, worth listening to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPW-TjFAVE8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Newa6...eature=related

He's a Major now and if you don't know about him definitely head to the good old google.
    Last edited by Hammer27; 05-01-11 at 18:16.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer27 View Post

He's a Major now and if you don't know about him definitely head to the good old google.
    For Maj Chontoch to say "im not a elite athelete, or into academics" just shows you what a class act he is.
    Last edited by theblackknight; 05-02-11 at 19:01.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    All in all, CF is just a tool that is designed to meet and end result, which is better physical fitness. Some people like LMT, some like BCM, some like Noveske. Exercise is the same way. You go with wha works for you and your end state. I'm not gonna bring my AR to a long range shooting competition. So if your end goal is to get jacked like Arnold, or run a 3:00:00 Boston marathon, maybe CF isnt for you. But if you do your research before you commit to something you can find what you are looking to accomplish and tailor your workouts accordingly, whether that be CF or not. I think someone on the first couple pages made a comment that related to the "for time" references. For time doesn't mean without safety. It's do the reps as you can do them safely. I've seen gym rat dudes blow a pec benching more than they could safely do. I've seen dudes that do marathons in their off time get RPPS from running too much.... We're not machines and injury happens.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    For me, I'm playing catch up from life - 9 years on the job, with 2 kids in the last five years (we all know that the husbands have "sympathy eating" with the wives ,) some job changes, and some on-duty injuries (sciatic nerve and shoulder dislocations) have resulted in starting my career at 180# to topping out at 220# with no physical activity.

In the interest of getting back into fighting weight, and my wife finally having that break-down moment of post-pregnancy body image, we joined the local YMCA after the first of the year and started Weight Watchers. We both started working out in the Wellness Center, seeing minimal results. She enrolled in Zumba in February, and has since lost 20#, and is pleased with her ever-improving body image, and is having fun and continuing to lose weight.

I enrolled in a "Strength and Endurance" class, and really enjoyed it, but the times were not conducive to my schedule. I also did not see much improvement due to not having a structure. I have since started the On-Ramp for CrossFit at my police academy. I enjoy it and am lucky to have VERY good instructors. The 3 primary instructors are all full time coppers who also have NASM certs and degrees in athletic training, and are detailed to the Academy as the department's physical fitness instructors. The department has integrated the program into it's basic academy and has developed a succesful campaign to get veteran officers - those who may be older, out of shape, or otherwise adverse to physical training - back in the gym to imrove their - and the department's - overall health and wellness. (There is a motto on the door of the training room: "No Live Ego" - and it has been successful in building cameraderie in the department, where captains and road officers can work out together, along with city fire fighters, EMT's and Medics, and the local Sheriff's Department. The instructors also encourage team building and class encouragment, reminiscent of the Basic Academy, a positive in my book.)

My existing 'weak spots' from my injuries not withstanding, my instructors are VERY attentative to all of us in the class, and make sure we do not overdo any of the exercises, and have gotten to know our weaknesses and are slowly building our strength and form to protect us. I feel pretty lucky that I have access to this workout for free, and it's working - (on top of my weak personal workouts at the Y for the last few months and the wife and I doing Weight Watchers too,) I am getting back in shape safely and at a pace that challenges me but is yet attainable.

I plan on continuing the system to lose weight, build athleticism, and enjoy cameraderie with my fellow public safety professionals. I will continue to use the YMCA facilites for strength training, recovery (sauna and pool,) and free classes and events for my family. It's also a lot closer than the Academy so after gaining the fundamentals and experience after the On-Ramp, I can do the workouts there.

So far my experience has been extremely positive and beneficial.
    Last edited by Boy Scout; 05-09-11 at 09:43.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I get that "catch up on life" thing. I was in awesome shape a few years ago. 340 PT score, low 12:00 two mile run time, then deployed and had a hiatal hernia, a surgery, and still havn't been able to get enough cardio to get the weight off. Started at (at best physical shape) 5'10", 168 lbs. Now I'm up to 194 lbs, and feeling like crap. Started doing CF a few weeks ago, dropped 8 lbs and I feel like I'm improving my physical fitness. It's working for me, so I'll stick with it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Funny thing is, i might just be doing some crossfit workouts in the next few months.

Seems the State Trooper academy is pretty high on CF........awesome. Oh well, if i get to go, i'll be in the shape i need to be in when i get there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer27 View Post

Well said.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast