Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P Bar-Sto Barrel from Apex Tactical preview pic

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Interesting, it looks like the barrel hood isnt slightly ramped like the factory barrels are. Could that be what keeps it locked-up for slightly longer???

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post
    Interesting, it looks like the barrel hood isnt slightly ramped like the factory barrels are. Could that be what keeps it locked-up for slightly longer???
    That plus I imagine there is a dimensional tweak on the lower lug assembly also. I understand that Randy has considerably increased the barrel/slide dwell time on this project.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor

Aimpoint USA ProStaff

www.hardwiredtacticalshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Nice to see someone releasing a product that addresses the M&P9 accuracy issues some have ran into.
    Two questions: does the M&P9c suffer from the same accuracy problem as the 9mm service model?
    If so does Bar Sto plan on making a barrel for the M&P9c available at some point in time?
    Last edited by ilsrwy27; 05-17-11 at 09:42.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    That plus I imagine there is a dimensional tweak on the lower lug assembly also. I understand that Randy has considerably increased the barrel/slide dwell time on this project.
    Hi guys,

Wayne is spot on. Now that all the chaos bringing out the forward set sear is over, I can talk about the barrel.
    It started out as an oversized blank I received from Irv. The external chamber and hood dimensions (other than some cosmetic cuts on top) are nearly identical to the Glock barrels so we ran with the same dimensions Irv uses for his M/T Glock barrels. It was the fastest way I could think of to get the project off and running.

I began cutting the bottom lug to achieve the absolute maximum slide/barrel dwell time. The prototype maintains mechanical lockup for roughly .160" of rearward slide travel. This is roughly 2x the dwell distance that a match fit 1911 has. I got the gun functional Sunday at 5:30 pm and Scott and I made a bee line to the range.
    We only had enough time to shoot a few rounds at about 13 yards.
    Not enough for any conclusive data, but I can tell you the the barrel shoots consistently better off hand groups than either of our 5" guns. Due to the increased dwell time, the gun's recoil impulse is as soft as our 9Ls which have heavier slides.

I am going to use .100" as my target dwell distance as I think .160" is unnecessary. My next step is to have three 5 inch barrels made from a rather expensive Krieger barrel blank. Once I am satisfied with the barrel performance, the dimension and CAD files will be sent to Irv for production.

I will provide more accuracy data as soon as it stops raining, and I can get out to the 25 and 50 yd ranges.

-Randy
    www.apextactical.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ilsrwy27 View Post
    Nice to see someone releasing a product that addresses the M&P9 accuracy issues some have ran into.
    Two questions: does the M&P9c suffer from the same accuracy problem as the 9mm service model?
    If so does Bar Sto plan on making a barrel for the M&P9c available at some point in time?
    I have not heard of as many complaints regarding the 9c, mostly fs and 5" guns. That may be due to the fact that more people are shooing the longer guns in training/competition than the compacts.

Knowing Irv, he will probably make most if not all of the barrel configurations.
    Including threaded versions.

-Randy
    www.apextactical.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Lee View Post
    I have not heard of as many complaints regarding the 9c, mostly fs and 5" guns. That may be due to the fact that more people are shooing the longer guns in training/competition than the compacts.

Knowing Irv, he will probably make most if not all of the barrel configurations.

-Randy
    Thanks for your answer, I can't wait for the accuracy data of the new barrels.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

-Randy
    A .40?

And while your at it, how about an extended thumb safety?

Bob
    " Some people say..any tactic that works is a good tactic,...I say, anything can work once" former ABQ swat Sgt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R Moran View Post
    A .40?

And while your at it, how about an extended thumb safety?

Bob

Aaaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Maybe.
    www.apextactical.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Aaaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Maybe.
    Well which one, the .40 bar sto barrel, or the thumb safety?

Bob
    " Some people say..any tactic that works is a good tactic,...I say, anything can work once" former ABQ swat Sgt.

Feedback Score
    Or both?

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast