Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Removing over-torqued castle nut

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Cut off wheel the nut and split it?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

**** that castle nut. I spent about the last two hours drilling and hammering away. Now I have to order another tube, luckily I have extras of everything else though. Thanks MistWolf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Congrats on getting that nut off. That looked like a serious pain. You've got some nice tools there in the Magpul armor's wrench and Geissele Reaction Block, but I'll recommend the tools and method I use that eliminates the risk of over torquing it again.

I use a BCM KMR Barrel nut wrench and a torque wrench, or socket wrench as appropriate for installing or removing. I also use a cheap set of magnetic rubber padded vise jaws that can be bought off of ebay.

1. apply a small amount of anti-sieze to the exposed threads of the receiver extension just behind where it threads into the lower receiver.
    2. visually line up the receiver extension in the middle of the indexing tab on the end plate, then tighten down the castle nut by hand while being careful to keep the receiver extension lined up.
    3. clamp the receiver extension in a vise using the rubber padded jaws. Orient the receiver extension so that as the castle nut is tightened the stock adjustment track on the rec. extension is bearing against one side of the padded vise jaws so that it cannot rotate as you tighten.
    4. Use a torque wrench with the BCM KMR Wrench to incrementally torque down the castle nut. I THINK (don't quote me on that) the max torque spec is 45lbs, but I usually find that ~35lbs is plenty.

A little more involved, but there is almost no chance of over-torquing or buggering anything, you know it is installed with sufficient torque, and it should not be too difficult to remove if necessary.

Feedback Score
    A good strap wrench should be a part of any shooters tool kit.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

**** that castle nut. I spent about the last two hours drilling and hammering away. Now I have to order another tube, luckily I have extras of everything else though. Thanks MistWolf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Now you know why you need to stake it down! That sucker could have spun right off. Sorry, couldn't resist a little gallows humor.

You know what they say, when it rains it pours.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sqr View Post
    A good strap wrench should be a part of any shooters tool kit.
    Doubt that a strap wrench would have helped at all in this case. What do you use a strap wrench for? I don't find myself needing one if I have the correct tools.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Now you know why you need to stake it down! That sucker could have spun right off. Sorry, couldn't resist a little gallows humor.

You know what they say, when it rains it pours.
    That actually crossed my mind several times haha. That thing never would've come off with normal use.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Can I assume that you used no anti-seize or similar on the threads?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Can I assume that you used no anti-seize or similar on the threads?
    No I actually did. I forget the brand but it was definitely anti-seize.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
    Doubt that a strap wrench would have helped at all in this case. What do you use a strap wrench for? I don't find myself needing one if I have the correct tools.

A Wheeler strap wrench is a supplementary tool that can be used in conjunction with the dedicated tools for many items on an AR and should be part of a tool kit. The 'Wheeler Fine Gunsmith Equipment AR Armorers Professional Kit' comes with one as part of the package or the 'Wheeler Engineering Delta Series AR-15 Strap Wrench Non Marring 567839' can be purchased separately.

It can be used for hand guards, barrel nuts, buffer tubes and those pesky castle nuts that can be marked up.

Last edited by Sqr; 05-17-16 at 10:01.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast