Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint X3 magnifier clone?

Feedback Score

Aimpoint X3 magnifier clone?

I was just wondering if anybody has used a clone aimpoint X3 magnifier behind a real aimpoint red dot, does it work good because i don't want to spend $1000 on a sight and magnifier when i could spend that same amount on a trijicon X4 ACOG.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ar-15 fanatic View Post
    I was just wondering if anybody has used a clone aimpoint X3 magnifier behind a real aimpoint red dot, does it work good because i don't want to spend $1000 on a sight and magnifier when i could spend that same amount on a trijicon X4 ACOG.

No, they really do not come even close to the real deal (sorry). I would suggest looking for a used 3X VS a clone.

The difference between a Trijicon and an Aimpoint and magnifier is that the ACOG does not do CQB very well (like at all). The Aimpoint setup can wear more hats.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ar-15 fanatic View Post
    Realizing that cost is often a factor, the reality is quality isn't inexpensive. "Buy Cheap, Buy Twice" as Pat Rogers' father often stated is very applicable. One of the reasons Aimpoint sights cost more that poorly designed and built competitors is that they use extremely high quality European naturally aged glass in all of their optics. This is the same glass used by the best European optics.

Prices listed are MSRP and not what they are often sold at via reputable dealer. They are definitely not as expensive if you properly shop around. These prices are 2007 cost comparison that has been posted elsewhere. FYI, Aimpoint CompM4 and Micro T-1 prices did not increase for 2008.
    -------------------------------

Military Combat Optics – Total Life Cycle Costs

Aimpoint CompM4 w/3XMagnifier & Twist Mount MSR + Life Cycle Cost $1486
    Life Cycle Cost - 80,000 Hours w/ AA Lithium Battery
    CompM4 MSR $780 + 3X Magnifier MSR $535 + Twist Mount MSR $171
    Weight - CompM4 335g + 3X Magnifier w/Twist Mount 300g = 635g

Micro T-1 w/LT660 Mount w/3X Magnifier & Twist Mount MSR + Life Cycle Cost $1455
    Life Cycle Cost – 50,000 Hours w/CR2032 Lithium Battery = 2 Batteries X $0.99 = $2
    Micro T-1 MSR $650 + LT660 Mount MSR $98 + 3X Magnifier w/ Twist Mount $706
    Weight – Micro T-1 w/ LT Mount 177gr + 3X Magnifier w/Twist Mount 300gr = 477gr

Trijicon TA01NSN-DOC MSR + Life Cycle Cost $1605
    Life Cycle Cost – 10 Years Tritium + 17,000 Hours CR2032 Battery = 5 Batteries X $0.97 = $5
    TA01NSN-DOC MSR $1600 + Life Cycle Cost $5
    Weight – 424g

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There are other internet forums that extol the virtues of cheap asian knock-offs of real equipment. This isn't one of them.

Most of the knock offs were DESIGNED by Airsoft companies. They make toys. They may resemble the real thing, but they do not have the quality of construction, durability or performance to match.

Decide now whether you are the owner of a toy or a weapon.
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    There is always this guy...

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...Po+Boy+Special

I think one or two of our members use this, maybe they will speak up about it. It's not an airsoft knock off but there is a cost savings.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by exitinyourhead View Post
    There is always this guy...

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...Po+Boy+Special

I think one or two of our members use this, maybe they will speak up about it. It's not an airsoft knock off but there is a cost savings.
    I think that's the best option for those not sure if they want to go the magnifier route. You get a great mount and if you decide you like the magnifier you can upgrade to the Aimpoint magnifier later. Thanks for reminding me to order one (even though I can't think of any reason I need/want a magnifier.... )

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I think that's the best option for those not sure if they want to go the magnifier route. You get a great mount and if you decide you like the magnifier you can upgrade to the Aimpoint magnifier later. Thanks for reminding me to order one (even though I can't think of any reason I need/want a magnifier.... )
    It's all I can do not to give mr larue 200 bucks for no apparent reason. They must have sat in a room and thought.. hmmm... what price would make people buy this thing even if they couldn't possibly need it... 195!!!!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Last class with LV indicated no advantage in having a 3X magnifier-at any distance.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy196 View Post
    There are other internet forums that extol the virtues of cheap asian knock-offs of real equipment. This isn't one of them.
    This was my immediate thought as well. This forum caters to serious use weapons, gear, and training; why would there be an opposite approach to optics?

Quote Originally Posted by PLCedeno View Post
    Last class with LV indicated no advantage in having a 3X magnifier-at any distance.
    There may be no advantage for you, but for many there is great benefit to the use of magnification.

-F2S
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    There may be no advantage for you, but for many there is great benefit to the use of magnification.
    So far almost everyone I've seen use one has either gotten rid of it or not yet realized that they actually shoot better without it.

I agree that there are uses for it, but like most things a good number of the people that have them don't know why.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast